General Automotive Discussion

To 4x4 or not to 4x4. That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 09:49 PM
tkd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree whole-heartedly on the "increased trade in value" of a 4x4. Ive owned 2 in texas and each time they only brought me a fraction of the resale compared to the intial outlay.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:22 PM
FritoBandito
New User
Well as I said before, it's done. I went to my dealer and give them the list of what I wanted and thanks to you guys 4x4 was on the list. I'm pretty excited although now I have to wait 6 weeks.

Hey, here's a question. I have a 99 Chevy Z28 that I've modded a bit. The problem is that Chevy dealers can be really draconian about even the most benign mods. One of my acquaintances had his warranty voided because he installed a cat-back exhaust. Pretty lame. How is Ford about this kind of stuff? I plan to install a cat-back, Airaid CAI, Super Tuner, e-fans, and pulleys. Do they get as spastic as Chevy about that kind of stuff?

Old 10-12-2005, 10:47 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

I think the resale issue does depend on location. Up here you can hardly give away a 2-wheel drive truck due to the fact that everyone wants a 4x4.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:31 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the soon to have new truck. As for the mods, and their effect on the warranty question. Well we've had this "discussion" (bitter argument) down in the Superduty forum (and I imagine every other forum as well,) more than once. And the only thing I can tell you is; First, read the Warranty Guide that comes with the truck. This will give you Ford's stance on mods. Second, and more importantly, try to get a feel for how the dealer your going to take it to for service feels about mods. It seems that some dealers are more "mod friendly" than others. The dealer will be the first arbiter as to whether or not a repair is denied under warranty and your vehicle flagged in the system. Living where you do, you could probably just ask a few F-150 owners where they take their trucks. It's rare to see a non-modified Ford in L.A. And there are a lot of them.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:56 AM
FritoBandito
New User
Right on guys. All good advice. I'll have a nice chat with my service rep. I need to take my Wife's 03 Explorer in anyway for a sticking fuel gage.

Hey BTW, I hope I'm bringing up a taboo topic here but there's a certain performance company which is apparently not liked very much around here. I'll just say that their name rhymes with "joyer." Is this a political thing or are these actually bad guys?

Old 10-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Hey Frito - simply put. If you don't know already that you need a 4WD, then you don't need one.

When I was getting my 1974 Datsun 260Z stuck backing my Jetski trailer into lakes, I knew I needed my 4WD.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:32 AM
farmtwuck
Senior User
Originally Posted by mlb4966

PS Bet I could get that tractor stuck in our snow.
Mike, That's a pretty risky bet there buddy!

I managed to get that tractor stuck in OUR snow last winter. Actually dropped the front axle over the edge of the ditch and the weight of the front end loader lightened up the rear wheels enough so that they didn't grab enough. After lots of spinning and throwing chains and rocks (and a few "special" words) under the rear tires out she came!

I can understand why a 2wd pickup (or 2wd anything) in Alaska would be considered next to worthless.

Those pic's would be interesting to see...

As you said, All statments were made in GOOD HUMOR

Old 10-13-2005, 10:35 AM
farmtwuck
Senior User
Originally Posted by polarbear
I should have mentioned we have one other thing you guys in the Mid-West don't have.

No, our hills don't grow quite that big! Must be all the rain you get up there...

PS. Is that Mt. Hood?

Old 10-13-2005, 11:56 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Yep, that's the Hood. I'm roughly 30 minutes away from the Timberline Lodge parking lot- 12 mo skiing.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:53 PM
farmtwuck
Senior User
Originally Posted by polarbear
Yep, that's the Hood. I'm roughly 30 minutes away from the Timberline Lodge parking lot- 12 mo skiing.
I was in Portland a few years ago in May. We drove up the mountain and ate at the lodge and watched the skiers on their way up. Pretty cool place!

Old 10-13-2005, 09:56 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey Frito, Good choice! I am envious.

The one thing I didn't see mentioned is, if you tow a boat you will want 4x4 for sure. People are always getting stuck on slick boat ramps with their two wheel drivers.

And besides, when I lived in L.A., I was always going up to Mammoth or Big Bear to ski and it was certainly nice not to have to put chains on.

Old 10-14-2005, 12:49 AM
FritoBandito
New User
Originally Posted by Bdox
Hey Frito, Good choice! I am envious.

The one thing I didn't see mentioned is, if you tow a boat you will want 4x4 for sure. People are always getting stuck on slick boat ramps with their two wheel drivers.

And besides, when I lived in L.A., I was always going up to Mammoth or Big Bear to ski and it was certainly nice not to have to put chains on.
Thanks man. I don't plan on towing any boats but we do go to Big Bear from time to time in my 2wd Explorer and it can get tense in the snow. My buddy and I have already planned some mellow offroad excusions into the mountains with our families. He in his Dodge Ram and me in my f-150. There are some beautiful trails up there.

Old 10-14-2005, 01:11 AM
go_racing84
Elder User
Wait wait wait... I thought you were only a real man if you drove with TWO wheel drive? Oh I've been makin' an idiot outta' myself! /homer simpson

Seriously though, half the fun is seeing if you can make it Only reason I have a four-wheel drive truck is for fun (my town is 500 feet above sea level...)

Old 10-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Jharger
Posting Guru
OK go-racing. 2 WD can get you to the Rubicon trailhead. A 4WD will get you through it.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:57 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by farmtwuck
Mike, That's a pretty risky bet there buddy!

I managed to get that tractor stuck in OUR snow last winter. Actually dropped the front axle over the edge of the ditch and the weight of the front end loader lightened up the rear wheels enough so that they didn't grab enough. After lots of spinning and throwing chains and rocks (and a few "special" words) under the rear tires out she came!

I can understand why a 2wd pickup (or 2wd anything) in Alaska would be considered next to worthless.

Those pic's would be interesting to see...

As you said, All statments were made in GOOD HUMOR

Heck with the price of fuel I'll have to get a second mortage just to pay for the cost of getting that tractor up here. The problem up here is that the snow is so deep that you never hit the ground. If its the soft stuff you just high center.

PS I have a couple of photos in my gallery of "Winter Fun"

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: To 4x4 or not to 4x4. That is the question