Notices

Which Ford bug shield ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:55 PM
conan8
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Ford bug shield ?

Traded in the 2001 F-150 Supercrew for a new 2005 F-150 Supercrew.

What original Ford bug shield looks better; the Low profile or standard wraparound on the truck? Can you wash under the low profile? Does the standard stand to high off the hood? Or is the low too low. Both have the F-150 logo. Any comments would be great.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:09 PM
PW01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For appearance the low profile, for function the wrap around. I'm not crazy about bug Shields anyway, but ended up replacing the low profile for the wrap around because if I'm going to have one, its going to serve its purpose.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Dark Nemesis
New User
If they are designed the same way was the lexan Expedition bug shields I strongly recommend keeping them off your vehicle. I drove with one for two years, and received terrible marks from the rubber hood protectors. Even when the fit seems perfect they apparently vibrate just enough to cause horrible paint damage after prolonged usage.

Granted it did its job and smacked the heck out of bugs, but I'd rather them hit the hood than have one of those on any vehicle in the future.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Dutch1134
New User
A pricier option is paint protection film. Had my wife's caddy done last march. Did the hood, fenders, mirrors, and bumper. Unless you're looking for it, it's not noticable from 2 feet away. No chips or stains after 10,450 miles except on the front edge of the roof. after seeing that, I took it back to the dealer and had him "custom cut" a piece for that area. He also put on clear door edgegards for free. Will have my new truck done when I get that next month. The only negative is the cost. But no drilling holes or wind noise like on the beast I'm driving and no maintainence except washing and waxing like the rest of the car.