Ohhh Nooooo........

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Haaser
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Ohhh Nooooo........

Hello

Today one of my employees dropped my 302 into the pit on the shop. They tried to roll it across the boards and the boards buckled under the weight. Now the pit has filled up with water becaues of alot of rain and the engine sat in the water after it fell. The only thing that broke was the oil filter, fuel pump and the oil sending unit. I don't think it landed on the damper. The dirt was soft as mud because of the water so I dont think the engine is toast. I sprayed the cylinders with WD-40 and turned the engine over with a rachet. I also drained the oil. Is there a possibilty somthings broke inside or cracked block from the 5 foot fall.
I immediatly took the engine out of the water. Hopefully the fuel pump took most of the beating. So what do you think, internal engine damage?

Old 10-11-2005, 03:21 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could be time for a tear down just to flush the dirt and grit out of the engine, and also to check for internal damage.

Ouch!

Old 10-11-2005, 09:45 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd take a close look at the timing cover. It's aluminum, and the force applied to the fuel pump could have cracked it. I'd then clean it thoroughly and inspect it carefully.

No damage to the oil pan? Even if there isn't, I think I'd still pull it and check the oil pump and pickup. The shock from the impact might have caused the pump to crack. Better safe than sorry, and it's a lot easier to pull the pan now than when it's in the vehicle.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:27 AM
munrow
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weigh the time/expense factor if you install the engine and then have to pull it to fix something, compared to tearing it down as much as necessary now.
Munrow