Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Atomic Punk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Flat 4 adapter for 7 pin connector

2000 F-150 Super Cab 4x2 4.6L

Hi Mr. Franklin,

I sent an electronic brake controller back as I found out the U-Haul 6x12 trailer uses surge brakes and requires a flat 4 adapter.

I have the flat 4 adapter with installation instructions and wondered if I need anything more. I also want to know if I can use a multimeter to test if I have power prior to picking up the trailer.

I'm moving 3500 miles across country in 3 weeks and am wondering how to test it due to working 70 hours a week and not having much free time to go to some shop for testing.

Thanks for any insight!

Mike

Old 10-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,708 Likes on 1,381 Posts
I also want to know if I can use a multimeter to test if I have power prior to picking up the trailer.
You certainly can, and I highly recommend it. You can also use a testlight.

Turn the **** on the meter to read DC, and a range that will handle 12 volts. You can see if you have it correct by opening the hood and reading the battery terminals.

Hook the black lead of the multimeter to the white wire terminal. Leave it there for all the following tests(it's ground).

Hook the red lead to the brown wire. When the headlights are turned on, you should have 12 volts.

Hook the red lead to the green wire terminal. When the brakes are pushed, you should have 12 volts. When the turnsignal is moved to the right, you should have a pulsing 12 volts.

Hook the red lead to the yellow wire terminal. When the brakes are pushed, you should have 12 volts. When the turnsignal is moved to the left, you should have a pulsing 12 volts on this wire.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Atomic Punk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much! I'll give you feedback on how it went when I get a day off on Sunday.