Sponsored by:

Horn won't STOP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:39 AM
bjbmoglo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horn won't STOP!

So I have searched and read through a bunch of posts with horns NOT working. Well, mine just goes off whenever it wants. Mainly when I turn, which is almost always b/c my steering is loose. Funny mental image, but not so practical. Details:

For awhile there has been a clicking when I turn and sometimes it would get 'stuck'. Recently when I 'un-stuck' it some plastic started falling from behind the steering wheel. Now whenever I turn the horn goes off and sometimes when I am not turning. I was on way to work yesterday when I couldn't get it to stop. Pulled over truck and got emergency tools out. I removed steering wheel cover (92 w/o air bag) and started to probe. What I found was that the cruise and horn wires were all disconnected from the housing it plugs into. Not only that but the housing does not appear to be attached to anything anymore. When I fiddle with the copper coil thing (is this clock spring?) I can get it to stop, or at least subside.

Obvious solution is ditch cruise control and horn. But I need to pass inspections in less than 2 weeks, and I need a horn in DC. How screwed am I? Thanks in advance...

Old 09-30-2005, 10:50 AM
Barrin
Freshman User
I may sound like a Redneck for this one... but,
I left the top off of my bronco and the windows down for too long and
watter got into my steering wheel and my horn wouldnt stop either so...
I just riped out all of the wires (cruise control) and all of the springs and stuff.
and took the mold of the steering wheel and just filled it with bondo and painted it.
drilled a hole in the middle (for the wires) and put a push button horn switch right over the top of the hole. works fine for me.... and gives it that costomized look....
you can even put more switches over the bondo and hook them to your cruize controll wires in your steering wheel and cut the other side (under your bottom dash)
and hook them up as accessories, lights ect.....
thats just me....... good luck...
you can probably find a replacement on ebay or junk yard....

Old 09-30-2005, 11:02 AM
poffutt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barrin.... yep you sound like a redneck.. but hey... not a bad idea

Old 09-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Barrin
Freshman User
why thank you verry much....

Old 09-30-2005, 01:12 PM
bjbmoglo
Junior User
well that is kinda what I dont get. The cover to the steering wheel which has the wires attached to it is off so there really are no wires attached from the steering wheel. I could disconnect further down the line (and will in the mean time), but that doesn't change the fact that i need the horn to pass inspections (and giving her up is clearly not an option). When I play with the copper looking coil thing that affects it. What is the copper thing? Am I going to have to replace the whole harness up there?