Sponsored by:

electronics no fun

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 08:52 PM
fordboy1981
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation electronics no fun

I have a 1989 bronco with a 302 automatic with automatic locking hubs and push button four wheel drive which I am not enjoying, I went to use the fourwheel drive and it wont work. I put the transmission in nuetral and pushed the button for four high, the indicator light didnt come on and I can here a clicking noise from what I belive to be the computer behind the kick panel on the passinger side. I had a friend check to make sure the drive shaft was spinning or not and it was not. I am not at all sure how these systems work. so when I got home I tried again and still the same result no engagement but I noticed also that when I push the four wheel drive button the lights on the truck dim and the motor drops a little in rpms. the fourwheel drive worked a while ago , the only thing I have done to the truck is, I adjusted the ignition part at the bottom of the column because it was sloppy and I used to have to put the wheel at tilt all the way down before it would start and in doing this I dont now if that messed with the nuetral saftey switch (it wont start in nuetral now ) witch now will not let the fourwheel drive engage, please help I am electronic illiterate

Old 09-28-2005, 01:20 AM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The click sound that you hear is the relay. At least you know that the relay works. The problem with the shifting is probably the shifter motor itself, it's just an electric motor and they go bad. Also, the auto hubs might be the problem. It's almost assuredly either the electric shift motor or the hubs (or both). However, if you do not see the driveshaft turning then it is probably the electric shift motor and not the hubs. They're next...

Old 09-28-2005, 05:14 AM
Big Daddy J
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordboy1981
I noticed also that when I push the four wheel drive button the lights on the truck dim and the motor drops a little in rpms.
Mine did this same thing when my shift motor died.

Jason
87 XLT 302 AOD

Old 09-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i would highly recommend you try to locate a manual tcase and swap it in soon along with some manual Warn Premium hubs. then this will never happen again. your local wrecking yard should have the tcase and shifter . i say this because youll fix the motor and it will just fail again and always at the worst time

Old 09-29-2005, 09:42 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
i would highly recommend you try to locate a manual tcase and swap it in soon along with some manual Warn Premium hubs. then this will never happen again. your local wrecking yard should have the tcase and shifter . i say this because youll fix the motor and it will just fail again and always at the worst time
Can I get an AMEN?!

Old 10-07-2005, 01:48 PM
fordboy1981
New User
thanks for the reply It makes sense that since the drive shaft isnt turning that it is the shift motor and that is were i am going to start . thanks for all the help gentlemen

Old 10-07-2005, 03:27 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
Question

hey i'm working on getting a manual 1356 for mine, but i've got a question. I want to take the tcase shifter from a chevy truck, (only because they look really cool, and they are lower profile) but i don't know if the shift patterns are the same, or how hard it would be to modify the linkage......

Old 10-07-2005, 04:17 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Heathan! Blasphemer! I have no idea...General Mistake parts are not welcome in my truck. Just kiddin', masseysbronco. I honestly have never messed with anything Chevrolet so I can't give you any insight. Just decided to rant for the heck of it.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Hamfisted
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Shift motor ..... corrosion

It's most likely the shift motor, they had a corrosion problem and just crap out. Not too big a job to remove and repair. You might be able to take it apart and clean it up. The contacts usually corrode to the point where they won't work anymore and have to be brushed off. If you take it apart spray it with some Corrosion-X or something to fight future corrosion. It's located on the rear of the T-Case on the driver's side about the size of a Coke can.

Mike
'96 5.8L EB

Old 10-09-2005, 05:11 PM
SOUP 87
New User
Fordboy;
Try the high tech way first. Give it a good rap with a rubber mallet.If it starts working just make sure you lock it more often than you do now. You may have many more years in it.

Good luck Steve

Old 10-09-2005, 05:49 PM
McLeod
Cargo Master
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by greystreak92
Can I get an AMEN?!
Amen, Brother!

Last edited by McLeod; 10-09-2005 at 05:51 PM.