Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Timing Chain Guide Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:28 AM
InsightSW
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing Chain Guide Troubles

My '98 Explorer Sport came home the other day making a kind of metal on metal clacking-like a loud diesel. In my non-mechanic mind I thought it might be a "lifter" or "rod": terms I had heard used to relate to similar problems. I called around for advice to various mechanics. One informed me that it would take special "Ford" tools to handle the problem and he couldn't do the repair and that I needed to take it to the dealer. I called another mechanic, explaining the same guesswork mechanic diagnostics and he was confident if it was a lifter he could do the repair.

Long story short, the mechanic (after a couple days of troubleshooting) figured out the timing chain guides had been worn down and dropped to the oil pan. So the noise is the timing chain itself flopping about. The engine was taken apart and then the mechanic figured out that he, in fact, DID NOT have the necessary tools to do this work, and that he could not get the necessary tools from anywhere. I called the dealer and they advised me that it was labor intensive repair-Of course-and the last one they did was about a $2700 bill.

My question is this: do I go ahead with the repair or just replace the motor for $2400/plus tax? Or do I have other options? Some have suggested looking into the used motor route. I'm sort of at a loss on which way to go with this and any advice/input/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Scott Wilkinson
Tulsa, OK

Old 09-27-2005, 11:41 AM
therealulysses
Senior User
I thought I'd read that Ford was giving out extended warranties to cover the timing chain tensioners on the 4.0 V6 SOHC engine (assuming that's what you have). Maybe you have too many miles on it to get the extended warranty. I suggest you do a google.com search for "timing chain explorer" and read what others have done. Personally I'd put up a fight against Ford before handing over any money.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:26 PM
therealulysses
Senior User
Crap, it lost some of the link. Here it is:

Ford Extends Warranty on Timing Chain Guide

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ford to extend recall on 4.0L engine
Published: 18 April 2001
Posted by: Robert Lane
Courtesy, Blueovalnews.com

Ford Motor Company will extend the engine warranty on all 1997 and 1998 Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer vehicles built with a 4.0L SOHC engine for the front cam chain guide assembly.

The additional coverage program will be in effect for 7 years from vehicle warranty start date or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

The program will now include all 1997 and 1998 model year Explorer and Mountaineer vehicles with 4.0L Single Overhead Cam (SOHC) engines built at the Louisville Assembly Plant from July 29, 1996 through October 20, 1998 and at the St. Louis Assembly Plant from May 29, 1996 through September 18, 1998.

On some of the affected vehicles, the front cam chain guide assembly may wear or break and cause excessive cam chain noise that does not go away after five minutes of engine operation.

Dealers are instructed to install a new cam chain guide assembly if the original is found to be worn or broken. If it has broken and fragments have entered the engine oil pan, dealers are authorized to clean the block of all debris, replace the engine oil pick-up and filter assembly, and install new oil and filter.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:33 PM
InsightSW
New User
Think I'm out of luck

I appreciate all the great follow-up info, but my motor has 136K on it. I can't imagine they would even consider an extended recall repair in this case. Now I'm faced with deciding on whether to go with the dealer repairing this or having an independent garage replace the motor since the replacement is cheaper.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:31 PM
CanadaGuy
Elder User
The primary chain and the left cam chain are not really that difficult to do, it's the rear chain that is the big pain, but they don't normally fail. There are some a few special tools involved, but from what I understand (as I have them supplied at work) they are not really that expensive. We will loan ours out to independants that are customers of our parts department, perhaps your local independants may have the same option. If you do choose to go the used motor way, I'd suggest updating the chains before installing it.

Last edited by CanadaGuy; 09-27-2005 at 09:33 PM.