nobody else seems to know...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 05:15 PM
f-250.4x4.390
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nobody else seems to know...

so i'll ask yall, yall are probibly my last resort b4 i blow something up
its a long story so bear with me please.
i have a fourwheeler , a 1992 yamaha banshee, well for some stupid reason the engineers at yamaha decided to not use replacable ball joints, well thats fine becuase you can get aftermarket a-arms that are wider and further forward that do use replaceable ball joints, the problem is that 80% of the time that you order these kits, the aftermarket ball joints dont fit the spindle, they tell you "oh, all you have to do is have your spindles reamed" well i cant find a machine shop around here that can do it, and i cant get anybody to tell me what to use to ream the spindles with myself. My dad is a machinest with a TVA and is 90% sure they have the tapered reamer at work and he can borrow it, he just needs to know what to borrow, the ball joints are supposedly automotive ball joints,
i contacted the guy i bought the parts from and he told me this
I'll get back with you with the size of drill bit you need, all you have to do is drill out the small end enough for the ball joint to slip through." , i'm like dude thier tapered for a reason and if i go drilling it wont be tapered anymore. i found a tapered reamer from goodson that i think is the proper size but its 70$ and i cant pay that for something that i think is right, know what i mean.
on the bottom of the ball joint is a little bear then the letters opac, with a 78 stamped below that,

so are most all ball joints machined with the same taper, the reamer from above is 1.5 in. per foot, i am at my wits end with this and really really need to get this thing back together, can anybody offer any help at all.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:48 PM
f-250.4x4.390
Senior User
i guess yall dont know either??

Old 09-27-2005, 07:13 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
How about improving the balljoint and using a balljoint that will fit the hole and simply bolt on without worrying about taper that is easily sourced? Maybe a 91-96 AWD Aerostar upper balljoint?

How about the dimensions of the balljoint needed?

imo, It might be reasonable to wait at least 24 hours or even a week before expecting an answer when asking a question about a Yamaha on a Ford truck site .

Old 09-27-2005, 08:21 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go here.....join up and ask the guys....they will help you.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/index.cfm

Old 09-27-2005, 06:09 PM
f-250.4x4.390
Senior User
Originally Posted by rebocardo
imo, It might be reasonable to wait at least 24 hours or even a week before expecting an answer when asking a question about a Yamaha on a Ford truck site .
agree, i apoligize for the hastyness, dont take offense please,
my dad is gonna take the spindle to work, rig it up in a lathe and machine it down somehow. Dont ask me, he is the machinest. He knows his crap, he just didnt want to jerry rig the front end of a fourwheeler that can travel in excess of 75 mph. but he is confident that this will work,
he also said that if this doesnt work he can take some other cutting tool and machine it down to the proper taper and ream it out that way, thanks for the replies fella's