1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Truck Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Blu Snke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Truck Wiring Question

I have a 1986 Ford F250 diesel 4X4 and I just bought a truck camper for it. While climbing around under the truck I discovered that I already have a 6 wire harness and plug; however, I need a 7 wire for the camper because I need to be able to charge the battery in the camper. I don't believe that there is a wire to charge the battery in my existing 6 wire according to some diagrams I have seen of the wires in the 6 wire. Does that sound correct? If so can i use the wires I need from my existing 6 wire and then pick up the charging wire from the alternator? I am told I should use 10 gauge stranded wire and it should be of a grade to with stand temperatures under the hood along with a 30 amp fuse. Is this there special wire for this? Do I just fit a 10 gauge wire directly to the alternator or do I hook it up at some other point? Can I then attach that wire along with the wires I need from the existing 6 wire to my new 7 wire receptacle. I don't need all of the wires since I don't need the turn signals or the electric brake or the auxiliary wire which are part of the 7 wire plug. Electrical wiring makes me crazy, so any help any of you might be able to provide would be much appreciated. Thanks very much in advance for your assistance.

Old 09-25-2005, 05:23 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Moved and member notified

Old 09-25-2005, 09:47 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,377 Posts
If so can i use the wires I need from my existing 6 wire and then pick up the charging wire from the alternator?
Yes, run the extra wire. It is best and most convienent to attach it to the large lug on the starter relay that the battery + wire is hooked too.

I am told I should use 10 gauge stranded wire and it should be of a grade to with stand temperatures under the hood along with a 30 amp fuse. Is this there special wire for this?
Not really. Any wire you get at Lowe's or the auto store will work well. The 10 gauge wire size and the 30 amp fuse is good advice. Put the fuse as close to the starter relay as you can, so you can protect as much wire as possible.

I don't need all of the wires since I don't need the turn signals or the electric brake or the auxiliary wire which are part of the 7 wire plug.
I don't quite understand this part. I figured you would move all the wires from the 6 wire plug to the new 7 wire plug, and add your charge wire too.