New F150 owner with a question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 02:25 PM
88Vmax
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New F150 owner with a question

Hi everyone!
I picked up a 98 Scab 4X4 a few weeks ago and was wondering where I can get a replacement 9.75 diff cover? I know the dealer will have it however since they wanted $140 for the 6 pack CD magazine that I need, I can imagine what they want for a differential cover! Also if anyone knows where
I can find the 75w140 gear oil ( I have a LSD). I know Royal Purple makes what I want but can't find a distributor of their product.
I live in Ajax so any locations in the GTA or east of there is great.
BTW I've applied for an Ontario Chapter membership!
Thanks

Gary
98 F150 SCab Lariat

Old 09-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi and welcome to FTE! Be sure to read this to help you around this site: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=300691

You can go down to your local NAPA/UAP store. They should have what you need. I accepted your request. And congratulations on the new truck.

See ya on the boards!

-Matt

Old 09-25-2005, 06:38 PM
truckfarmingcanuck
Senior User
Hey Gary welcome aboard. I'm not sure where to get a diff cover but when you get one and its oil change time make sure you add friction modifier (if not already in the oil you choose). Ford sells the stuff for 5.25$ a bottle. Do not run without it. I had warranty work done and they forgot to add mine. I drove it for awhile and I swear I thought the rear end was done. It would pop & grind under load. I looked up the problem on FTE and everyone was talking about friction modifier and thought it was BS. Well 5.25$ later and now I'm a believer big time. Good luck with your search and that truck.

later
TFC

Old 09-25-2005, 06:53 PM
black wolf
Senior User
welcome to the FTE 88vmax. I would have to agree with truckfarmingcanuck

Old 09-25-2005, 08:01 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Welcome to FTE !!!

Call up Ajax Auto wreckers & see what they say about the diff. cover. If they don't have one, maybe Dom's will. The other choice would be a tranny shop like Selective Transmission in Ajax. Ask for Rob & tell him an old tow truck buddy of his told you to call.
Do a google search for this.... "royal purple distributors" . You should at least get RPs' web site.
Enjoy your new ride!!!!!
AL.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:41 AM
88Vmax
Junior User
Originally Posted by truckfarmingcanuck
Hey Gary welcome aboard. I'm not sure where to get a diff cover but when you get one and its oil change time make sure you add friction modifier (if not already in the oil you choose). Ford sells the stuff for 5.25$ a bottle. Do not run without it. I had warranty work done and they forgot to add mine. I drove it for awhile and I swear I thought the rear end was done. It would pop & grind under load. I looked up the problem on FTE and everyone was talking about friction modifier and thought it was BS. Well 5.25$ later and now I'm a believer big time. Good luck with your search and that truck.

later
TFC
Thanks TFC, I knew about the friction modifier from an earlier post I read in the Drivetrain forum. I was looking for Royal Purple becuase it comes with the modifier already in their gear lube. I think I've found a distributor in Whitby.
Anyone else have problems with leaking diff covers. It seems to be weeping right through the middle of the cover. There is some rust on it but it doesn't seem that bad. Another threa suggested to check the vent for the diff, so I guess that is next.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:44 AM
88Vmax
Junior User
Originally Posted by Dealford
Call up Ajax Auto wreckers & see what they say about the diff. cover. If they don't have one, maybe Dom's will. The other choice would be a tranny shop like Selective Transmission in Ajax. Ask for Rob & tell him an old tow truck buddy of his told you to call.
Do a google search for this.... "royal purple distributors" . You should at least get RPs' web site.
Enjoy your new ride!!!!!
AL.
Hi Al

Actually I hadn't thought about wreckers.. that is a good idea though. My only worry is picking up one with the same problem, weeping through the rust damage.
As for Royal Purple, that is what I ended up doing.

Thanks again!

Gary

Old 09-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Another place to look...

Maybe at Karbelt in Pickering, on Bayly west of Brock Rd.(north side).They may sell chrome ones. Maybe even Van and Truck World. They've got loads of chrome goodies too.
AL.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:57 PM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the site, another member from Ajax.
I think Al has a point, an aftermarket unit is probably cheaper than the dealer.

Frank