Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 03:19 AM
watermanh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end noise

My front end makes a grind/groan kind of noise. It will only do it on a LH turn, exactly 1 complete revolution of the steering wheel. Will not make noise at any other position, and seems to make more noise when there is more body roll or suspension action going through the turn. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance and aloha to all.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:41 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
check the brakes for signs of metal to metal. Its a long shot but have you put bigger than stock tires on it? If so they maybe rubbing in turns. have someone turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and look under it while they hold it see if you can see anything tuching that shouldnt be. look for any signs of rubbing on all the steering componets and the rim. GL
Scotty

Old 09-25-2005, 10:53 AM
watermanh
Senior User
Hey Texan, my tires are slightly larger than stock (LT285, 75R/16). All clear through the entire travel of the wheel (my son loved turning the wheel for me!). I'm gonna jack up the front end and try rotating the tires to see if noise is there and will let you know, thanks the reply and aloha.

Old 09-25-2005, 10:49 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like a good idea. let me know what it looks like. gl
scotty

Old 09-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Does your ABS light come on at all while you are driving? Just a shot in the dark here, but I just read an article about front wheel bearings becoming a problem on Super Duty pickups. Haven't experienced it yet myself....just thinking out loud.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:06 AM
watermanh
Senior User
Well jacked up front end, rotated wheel and no noise. Not even the slightest vibration or anything. Put the truck back down and drive and it's still there, must be the load factor. I don't want to randomly start changing parts (costly) but running out of ideas. Suggestions? Thanks guys, aloha.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:08 AM
watermanh
Senior User
Sorry gchavez, no ABS light, but thanks for the suggestion!

Old 09-26-2005, 10:39 AM
jlande
Senior User
I had a 'creaking' noise with left hand turns at low speeds, dealer put in all new ball joints under my extended warranty - drives like new again.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:30 PM
doreilly
Freshman User
Originally Posted by gchavez
Does your ABS light come on at all while you are driving? Just a shot in the dark here, but I just read an article about front wheel bearings becoming a problem on Super Duty pickups. Haven't experienced it yet myself....just thinking out loud.

Could you post a link to this article. I am having the problem you described right now.
thanks Dan

Old 09-26-2005, 09:03 PM
69cruiser
Senior User
had the same noise in mine and it was the wheel bearings about 300 each i taught it was the brakes at first tore them down and it was the good old wheel bearings

Old 09-26-2005, 09:28 PM
watermanh
Senior User
OK update. I removed wheel and by just turning hub it feels like there is more friction than there should be. I'm gonna check wheel bearings this weekend, don't know where else to look at this point. Thanks for all the feedback guys, aloha.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The article can be found in the August issue of TrailerLife magazine. There might be some information on the Dynatrac website. They manufacture a kit that replaces the original bearing assembly with a serviceable unit that can be inspected and re-packed with grease whenever necessary. Here is a quote from the article:

"There is only one warning sign we have noticed that may indicate a bearing is close to failure. If the ABS light comes on and stays on, it may mean the tone ring located between the two sealed wheel bearings is wobbling......TRW and Timken engineers have told us that the factory unit bearing is designed to last 150,000 to 200,000 miles."

According to the article, the factory bearing assembly has a plastic carrier for the needles. Bummer of a design for something that is supposed to be a heavy duty vehicle.

Anyway...I'm paranoid now and think I may be hearing a rumbling sound from my right front wheel. I have only 127,500 miles so maybe it's time to change them out.