1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Clean and Seal the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Flaflathead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clean and Seal the gas tank

Hello everyone, I will be cleaning and sealing my gas tank. I spoke with a fellow that said remove the gas, flush it out with water. Then add one gallon of muratic, the slush it around, empty the tank then flush with water. After that, to one gallon of water add baking soda, sloshing it around. Then after that emptying and rinsing, dry, add the tank sealer. Does this sound right? Thanks, Monte

Old 09-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Monte, I'd look over the instructions for the sealer thoroughly and see what they recommend. If you've been monitoring the forum the last couple of days, there are a couple of threads on gas tanks and I think at least one of them has some recommendations about taking it to a radiator shop to have it done. If I recall, prices from $75 to $200 were mentioned. Might be an option if you haven't already invested in the sealant kit.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
I am not familiar with muratic acid as far as handling it, but please read the instructions on it carefully. I assume you need hand and eye protection. Just a guess. Please read.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:36 PM
RidinNStyle54
Junior User
Please let us know if you do this, and it works, and about how much $ you have in the chemicals, etc, as mine is in pretty rough shape also.