New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Seizing Brake Caliper

Old 07-25-2002, 11:05 AM
Vampiro
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seizing Brake Caliper

how hard is it to remove the brake line from a siezed caliper? im kinda scared to touch it because i don't wanna break the line? also should i changed both calipers at the same time, even tho one is still good? or is there a way to unseize the caliper?

Old 07-25-2002, 12:45 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seizing Brake Caliper

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 25-Jul-02 AT 01:46 PM (EST)]It's not that hard a 9/16 wrench takes the bolt off holding the line on and if you can get a line wrench or a box end wrench it will grip the bolt better.I recently replaced both my calipers i to had one sticking and thought it would be best to replace both(preventive maintenance).

Wiz

An Equal Opportunity Truck Lover!

http://www.clubfte.com/users/thewiz427/index.html

Old 07-25-2002, 03:26 PM
russellkr
Senior User
Seizing Brake Caliper

I'd say put the wrench to and see how it goes, if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway. It most probably does as it stands. I think that the wiz has the right idea in saying that you should replace both, but I've replaced one side in a car before with no problems.

Old 07-27-2002, 06:07 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Seizing Brake Caliper

Joseph, You shouldn't have any problem in getting the banjo bolt out of your caliper, I'd do it while the caliper is still bolted on so its rigid, I'd also replace both calipers at the same time, as my thinking is if one seized then the other is most likely right behind it.

Old 07-27-2002, 08:50 AM
hartmark
Senior User
Seizing Brake Caliper

I just replaced the calipers, rear wheel cylinders, and master cylinder. All in all it was pretty easy except for getting the old hoses off the metal brake line. The fittings were rusted pretty good, but we didn't really want to cut off the (double flared) fittings. We got them off eventually. The caliper side was EASY to take off. I basically replaced everything (bad master cylinder started everything) and now it works great.

Good Luck!

Mark