1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helper Springs Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 04:02 PM
bigdog13
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helper Springs Help

My brother has a 99 f-250 SD with a V-10 in it..... an I have a 04 f-250 SD with a 6.0L PS in mine.... his has a helper spring on the rear of his truck and my truck don`t... can I put OEM.. helper spings on my truck???? if so can any one help me a with part number... there is holes in the frame for the mounts.....thanks craig

Old 09-19-2005, 04:17 PM
dkstuck
Elder User
I had a 86 other make and put the helpers on it. It was a direct bolt on with all patrs bought at the local spring shop. It came as a kit with brackets and longer u bolts, triangle spring was my shop in Pa. Simple job even without a impact wrench. If bolts are real rusty torch is real handy.

Old 09-19-2005, 06:54 PM
3/4ER
Elder User
I have the same set up, and I installed Firestone RideRite airbags. I don't think I've ever loaded my truck enough, that helper springs would come into play. The RideRites are ajustable, and proably cheaper than buying the original helper springs.

Originally Posted by bigdog13
My brother has a 99 f-250 SD with a V-10 in it..... an I have a 04 f-250 SD with a 6.0L PS in mine.... his has a helper spring on the rear of his truck and my truck don`t... can I put OEM.. helper spings on my truck???? if so can any one help me a with part number... there is holes in the frame for the mounts.....thanks craig

Old 09-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Powerkleen
Senior User
How much weight are you putting the bed to use the airbags?

I have 2000 F350 CC LB 4X4 PSD and went to the rock quarry and come out at 3980 heavier than I went in. The truck went from slightly tail high to sitting about level maybe 1 inch lower than level. I was really impressed. I only have the factory setup of springs and overloads.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Outpost22
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Powerkleen
How much weight are you putting the bed to use the airbags? come out at 3980 heavier than I went in.
The air bags will level a load better than a helper spring. It will also help not be as "spongy" when you rock side to side. They are also adjustable as a spring is not.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:59 AM
3/4ER
Elder User
I think the airbags are capable of 5000 lbs.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to watch air bags they give you a false sense of load carrying capability personally I don't like them. I suggest you get a set of Timbren Rubber springs they are stronger and more durable they are designed for trucks that work ie tow trucks etc. The factory overload set up really doesn't give you much unless you change the single leaf overload to a multi leaf overload pack. I think the single leaf is only good for 800lbs or so if you really wanted a pack that will carry some weight then you get a spring shop to make you a set of overload springs that would be good for 2000lbs per side.

Air bags only carry 2500lbs per side they don't carry 5000lbs each they also stress your frame your drilling more holes into the weakest part of the frame.

Like I said a set of Timbrens you bolt them in 30 mins no air lines to mess with no new U bolts to deal with. Once they are bolted in you don't even remember they are there till you need them.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:04 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i will suggest the airbags as well, i have a 2500# truck camper and when i put it in the bed it would lower the rear enough to cause the truck to ride on the overload springs. the ride was pretty bouncey and unstable feeling. the airbags made a huge difference

firestone superduty airbags

Old 09-20-2005, 01:11 PM
3/4ER
Elder User
Never said load capacity was 10K, and Firestone RideRites require no drilling in the frame. Airbags also come into play immediately, and are ajustable to varying conditions, unlike helper springs, or Timbrens.

Originally Posted by Kenworth
You have to watch air bags they give you a false sense of load carrying capability personally I don't like them. I suggest you get a set of Timbren Rubber springs they are stronger and more durable they are designed for trucks that work ie tow trucks etc. The factory overload set up really doesn't give you much unless you change the single leaf overload to a multi leaf overload pack. I think the single leaf is only good for 800lbs or so if you really wanted a pack that will carry some weight then you get a spring shop to make you a set of overload springs that would be good for 2000lbs per side.

Air bags only carry 2500lbs per side they don't carry 5000lbs each they also stress your frame your drilling more holes into the weakest part of the frame.

Like I said a set of Timbrens you bolt them in 30 mins no air lines to mess with no new U bolts to deal with. Once they are bolted in you don't even remember they are there till you need them.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:56 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
I never accused you of saying they had 10,000lbs capacity its some people think the bags can carry 5000lbs each. The reason why I don't like bags is people overload their truck then they over drive it. I seen so many tourists with campers carried in trucks with airbags have the camper flop out on the ground because they are going around the corners too fast. The truck is skidding around the corners it will flip over.

Like I said they give you a false sense of security all it takes is the valve to let go and all air pressure is lost and the bag drops or a line blows etc. All it takes is the bag to blow and it will throw the truck out of control.

The truck has to still need to be able to flex when loaded if its so rigid side to side then your stressing the frame. The only cushion you are getting is from the tires which isn't that good because you are stressing the rear tires too.

Oh well no point in arguing about it after 13 years in trucking I do know what works and what doesn't where as a weekend warriors think they know what it takes to carry heavy loads

Old 09-20-2005, 02:05 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason why I don't like bags is people overload their truck then they over drive it. I seen so many tourists with campers carried in trucks with airbags have the camper flop out on the ground because they are going around the corners too fast. The truck is skidding around the corners it will flip over.
i have been camping and traveling for well over 20 years and have never seen a "camper flop out of a truck" nor have i ever seen a truck with a camper in it lying on the side of the road, i can say however i have seen many many commerical trucks and big rigs flipped over and on there sides along the road...hmmmmmm
i have about ten years of trailering with air bags and have never had a problem

Last edited by wlihntr; 09-20-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:29 PM
3/4ER
Elder User
I think they look nice (must count for something), and add stability to the truck even when unloaded. You also get the ability to level your vehicle when towing.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:42 PM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Well, here's is just something for those they may be interested. I'm not selling them soooo. I have the original springs w/ helpers from before I put the lift on, if anyone wants them and wants to pick them up in Auburn, AL. PM me and you can HAVE them. I also have the fronts, the u-bolts, pitman arm, all that OE stuff.

Oh, I also have the RS9000X's that have about 10K on them and work great, you can have those as well. I'm still in Afghanistan until Jan and I'm not having the wife load crap up and ship, so they would have to be picked up. Again, I'm not selling this stuff, you can have it, just PM me.

Last edited by BFR250SD; 09-20-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Outpost22
Posting Guru
I think the single leaf is only good for 800lbs or so if you really wanted a pack that will carry some weight then you get a spring shop to make you a set of overload springs that would be good for 2000lbs per side.

The difference is that the axle isn't designed for an extra 2000 pounds per side anyway. The airbags are a leveling device. If they "blow out" the rig drops about 1 1/2"- 2" from the inflated height and when it does its on the overload spring anyway, at least in my set-up.

For BIG loads, Kenworth, you da man , but for us peanut haulers, we shouldn't be loading that much anyway. Oh, I've been hauling truck campers for 16 years, and I also have not seen a camper flop out of a truck. (knock wood). BTW, don't the big rigs use Air Bags?

Old 09-21-2005, 12:14 AM
3/4ER
Elder User
Remind me not to follow behind those big rigs, because when them airbags blow, we're all in trouble. By the way, I believe Firestone makes their airbags also, tractors, and trailers.

Quick Reply: Helper Springs Help