Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Frame mounted tow hooks

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 10:43 AM
mtncrawler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frame mounted tow hooks

The last time I got my '96 hopelessly stuck I had to wrap a chain around a spring shakle for a pull point. The frame doesn't have any real obvious areas to attach tow hooks or rings. Anybody have a good idea for this?

Old 09-14-2005, 11:16 AM
chapguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't tell you how interested I am in this one. Got my 95 stuck GOOD in the back pasture a few months ago and buried it in mud up to the axle. I was just sure that I'd hooked on to the frame with the tow chain until I heard all the cracking under the hood as the neighbors tractor towed my embarassed a** outta the swamp. I had hooked onto the cross member that holds the bottom of the radiator instead. Now I'm trying to figure out if it's best to leave the damage as is or if I'll make it worse to try and fix it now. Sure wish I'd thought of this one BEFORE I got stuck!

Old 09-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On my 95 450 I bought I guess the truck was used in muddy conditions so it was pulled alot so the previous owner installed a modified reciever hitch on the front. It has a big hoop where you can put a hook,chain etc into to pull the truck I haven't had to use it yet but I probably will as I'am in tough condtions too.

The strongest pull point is in the center and something that secures both frame horns securely so when you pull they don't bend. With tow hooks and you put a side pull on the frame you could bend it.