Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

77 F350 2WD steering box loose

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 12:12 PM
John Rowe
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
77 F350 2WD steering box loose

I have a 77 F350 crew cab 2wd with 75K original miles. I just had the front aligned and I put new shocks, tires and rims on the truck, but have noticed the steering feels a little loose. Running down the road, there is about 2 inches of play in the steering wheel. There is no clanking, grinding, etc. from the steering box. The steering linkage all feels tight and there is little to no play in the ball joints.

Is this normal, can it be adjusted or do I need to find a new steering box??

Thanks, John

Old 09-12-2005, 01:42 PM
threefiftyone
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same thing in my '78. After I replaced the steering box, I realized that it was the steering shaft u-joint.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:03 AM
jtmerritt
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

If everything else is tight in the fronr end, tie rod ends, pitman arm, ball joints, etc., and the steering shaft rag joint is OK then I would adjust the steering gear gear preload. I would do this using an inch ponds torque wrench. If you don't have one you can make very small adjustments without it. I don't recommend this because you run the risk of overtightening the preload which can cause bearing failure along with possibly dangerous steering. The torque wrench approach is the best. Disconnect the pitman arm from the drag link. Remove the steering wheel center cover. Using the torque wrench set the gear preload to 15 inch pounds at center with the engine running. Adjustment for the gear preload is done by loosening the lock nut while holding the allen set screw located on top of the steering gear. I recommend that before you start you mark the existing adjustment with a mark so you can see how much of an adjustment you have made and you can return it to original if necessary. Touch up paint works very well for this. Make sure to turn the wheel completely to the left and right and then set the preload at center. Hold the allen set screw and tighten the lock nut. Reattach the drag link to the pitman arm and your done. This will take any play that you have out of the gear.

John

Old 09-18-2005, 11:55 AM
John Rowe
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I checked the steering joint and there is a fair amount of play there. I'm not exactly sure how a new steering joint is going to take up the free play, but I bought a new one from Ford. Apparently, a 2wd F350 crew cab requires a steering joint that is different from every other Ford truck...?? Any way, I am going to install the new joint tomorrow and see what that does. If I still have the free play, then I will try setting the pre-load. I think I can get my hands on an inch-pound torque wrench. If I have access to a lift, would you still recommend removing the pitman arm from the drag link?Thanks, John