1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Decision Time

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Decision Time

Was to the machine shop today and I believe I commited to building an FE engine. I have two 360s available and I know that the 390 is a formitable power plant so I decide to bump it up a bit. I'm going to drop in a 428 crank and get a 410. I believe it should work out to be a good pulling engine when it is completed. Any thoughts as to what should go in for internals as well as a tranny? I have a C6 but I have been told to go for an AOD. In order to do that I will have to locate an adapter.
It will be good to get Joey's truck up and running. His godfather owned this truck and it has a lot of sentimental value. George's most common phrase was By Golly so I had to settle for BIGOLLY because the first choice was already take.

Gear Up

Old 09-07-2005, 09:44 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
410 is a good choice - it is what I would do if I could afford it. As to the internals, please ask on the FE forum as they have two or three standard builds, depending on what you want to build. Several people have followed their suggestions with good results.

You do need to be careful of your pistons as some have a different wristpin location and will leave your piston down 1/8 inch in the bore which ruins your compression. They can give you your piston/cam choices and tell you what sort of horsepower to expect.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182

This is the #1 FE engine site I've found online. 410 is a great choice, you'll love it!

Ron

Old 09-08-2005, 06:46 AM
svooom
Senior User
Gear, it sounds like your going to have a sweet engine.

I would use caution around the AOD. I don't think that it's going to be strong enough for your application. I've got to believe that your going to have at least 350 hp and I'm told that that is about the limit of an AOD unless it has significant modifications. You may not get great highway miliage with the C6 but I think you'll find that it's a much stronger tranny.

Good luck. - Brad

Old 09-08-2005, 08:41 AM
TBucketJack
Senior User
I would stay with the C-6 and go with a Gear Vendors overdrive unit if it isn't cost prohibitive.

Old 09-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have talked with the instructor and the local technical college and he has assured me that he can beef up an AOD to make it work. He told me what trannies to look for and the first one I have already located and I do have a C6 at my disposal. The overdrive for the C6 interests me and will check it out. Thanks for the responce.

Gear Up

Old 09-08-2005, 05:43 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Gear vendors' overdrive sure looks like a good unit to have, but it is very expensive - last time I looked was $2600, plus the drive line work.

http://www.gearvendors.com/

Even early units on eBay go for more than a grand.