Sponsored by: DP Tuner

leaking tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 10:34 PM
greenhedhntr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leaking tranny

Tranny seaping not dripping it dosent slip grind or anything abnormal should I be concerned

Old 09-02-2005, 08:58 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
seeping from where?

Old 09-02-2005, 11:34 PM
greenhedhntr
Freshman User
it seems to be coming from the front of the tranny hard to tell but the rear of my oil pan and lookd like bell housing. I was told it could be just a seal or some bearing being ground up and got shavings in the torque converter truck has 73000 miles on it

Old 09-03-2005, 10:11 AM
DaBigTow
Elder User
I just spent a thousand bucks to cure what started out as the same thing. At 73000 miles, seals don't just leak (or seep), there's an underlying cause. On mine, a piece of metal had gone through & cut a groove in the bearing and the torque converter shaft The seal wasn't damaged & managed to keep everything hidden from me for long enough for the tranny rebuild warranty to expire. Then the seep shows up, a little slickness on the t/c shield; I figured "no biggie, I'll fix it when I finish this run". Wrong!!! In 3000 miles, the seap turned to a fast drip, then a steady pour. So stranded 2700 miles from home, I spent the weekend then spent a grand getting the front pump & torque converter replaced.

Moral of the story... 1) Seals don't just "leak", and 2) Don't hesitate to make repairs on what appears to be a "minor problem".

Old 09-03-2005, 10:26 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you tell for sure that it's tranny fluid? The top of the engine valley has drain holes that will make an oil or fuel leak on the top of the engine appear as if it's coming from the oil pan/bellhousing area.

Old 09-04-2005, 10:35 PM
greenhedhntr
Freshman User
Hey I see you live in pasco I live in benton city where did you take it and get it fixed for a grand
Originally Posted by DaBigTow
I just spent a thousand bucks to cure what started out as the same thing. At 73000 miles, seals don't just leak (or seep), there's an underlying cause. On mine, a piece of metal had gone through & cut a groove in the bearing and the torque converter shaft The seal wasn't damaged & managed to keep everything hidden from me for long enough for the tranny rebuild warranty to expire. Then the seep shows up, a little slickness on the t/c shield; I figured "no biggie, I'll fix it when I finish this run". Wrong!!! In 3000 miles, the seap turned to a fast drip, then a steady pour. So stranded 2700 miles from home, I spent the weekend then spent a grand getting the front pump & torque converter replaced.

Moral of the story... 1) Seals don't just "leak", and 2) Don't hesitate to make repairs on what appears to be a "minor problem".

Old 09-05-2005, 01:32 AM
DaBigTow
Elder User
New City Transmission in Salisbury NC

Old 09-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Douglas DC-9
Senior User
I have the same thing.. well sorta. My truck seems to "seep" engine oil from a pan/housing just behind the engine oil pan, but before the tranny. I was trying to rip out a stump today and the drip got really fast. I parked the truck for a few hours and the leak stopped. I've got 81k on the truck and I've noticed that "seep" for a few weeks now.

Thanks,
DC-9

Old 09-05-2005, 10:31 PM
greenhedhntr
Freshman User
I have noticed my seep since around 55000 and have made two 2000 mi rond trips to las vegas pulling a 20ft car trailer and the seep hasnt got worse I always check for spots and have never seen one

Old 09-05-2005, 10:49 PM
usmc5953
Junior User
the oil dripping from the front of the tranny

I just wanted to say, i have a 2001 and it has about 115,000 on it and at about 60,000 it started to have a leak. Oil leak, when I got under it to change the oil i saw oil coming from the passenger side of the motor, it driped down the motor right to the tranny cooler lines, then I guess because of the foward movement when it would leak it even dripped from the torque converter cover, well I had a friend at a ford dealer and I need my truck for a new job, they said that the turbo was leaking oil, they said there are a few seals in there that could cause the problem, and they changed all of them still under fact war. The leak stoped and has not came back since, This is for the one who answered a post on the tranny leak, if you leak sounds like mine was, take a look at the turbo Pedistol.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:32 PM
greenhedhntr
Freshman User
thanks I will check it out in the morning