Home made Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Bill Jordan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last night I decided to top my truck off before fuel prices would go up more. Paid $3.39 a gallon. When I paid the cashier he said I missed paying .20 more by minutes. They were changing the sign as I left. When I got home I checked out a company out here that sells biodiesel made up north that meets all government regulations. The price was $3.60 a gallon. Now it is $3.49 a gallon. If you live out here in the bay area it is called biofuel oasis.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:11 AM
nv_brewer
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1978fordf250
Hey I would really liek to know more about your process of how you made your setup. Please elt us know more my dad wants tot ry to make a setup to make this stiff.
thanks,
jimmy
Here's one of many sites.
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

Just Google Biodiedel to find more

Old 09-02-2005, 02:05 PM
cherryredF-150
New User
A long time ago a farmer told me that every year he held back a portion of his soybean crop to run his tractor on. All he did was press the beans to extract oil, then run it strait. He did mention that every now and then he would tear down the engine to clean it out.

Old 09-04-2005, 07:00 PM
theshyguy
Elder User
BD is going to really start catching on now. Demand has spiked since the hurricane since refineries nad pipelines have been disrupted.

The idea of a BD business has been running in my mind again.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:09 PM
rustyculley
Senior User
Guys, keep in mind that biodiesel and waste veggie oil (WVO or UVO) are not the same animal. Biodiesel is chemically altered in the refining process (what you saw on "TRUCKS") so that it is no longer veggie oil. WVO will burn in a lot of diesel engines (I have one hooked up to a dyno as we speak) without ill effects, but that is not always true. We have yet to run a batch of biodiesel that did not perform as petrodiesel does as long as it is fresh. Another interesting note is that we have air-cooled engines running on strong blends of WVO and gasoline. Up to one third by volume WVO without any ill effects other than a weird smell and you have to purge with straight gasoline when done. There is still a lot to know about all this.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:50 PM
theshyguy
Elder User
gasoline? huh?

Old 09-23-2005, 10:19 AM
rustyculley
Senior User
Let me clarify. The WVO/gasoline blends we are running are in spark ignition air-
cooled engines. I left out the spark part. All the other stuff is in CI engines. Hope that helps.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:07 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious, do you know if the WVO does anything to the gasoline's octane rating?

Old 09-23-2005, 02:39 PM
rustyculley
Senior User
We have not done any fuel quality analysis yet. Instead, I am running batches of WVO/gasoline to determine the richest WVO mix that is feasible and we are running emissions analysis on these as well. It is cool to see the little engines purr along on the oil mix, but long term viability is still up in the air. I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-23-2005, 03:58 PM
theshyguy
Elder User
Well thats new to me. I've never heard of that. How close is the WVO you use to ethanol?

Old 09-23-2005, 04:18 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Please do keep us informed.

I'll let you in on my reason for asking. I'm building up an Ethanol fueled motor (see FE forum), with high compression to take advantage of the high octane of the ethanol. I was thinking about making a blend of ethanol, biodiesel, and something else to make it vaporize more readily, like acetone. That's why I was curious to see what the oil does to the octane rating.

Good luck, and I look forward to any more information you can provide!

Old 10-30-2005, 12:50 PM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Thumbs up

Surf around on B100supply.com (appleseed processor) and you can either buy or get a parts list for a homemade processor that will cost about $250-$500 to make. The hardest part of home brewing Biodiesel is the titration process. You can make, wash your own fuel from 35 cents to 90 cents per gallon depending on where you get your supplies from. Methanol is the most expensive ingredent. The process is easy if you follow the steps closely.

I would recommend anyone who wants to make their own biodiesel to try the first 1 liter batch from new vege oil. You will need 1 liter SVO, 200ml methanol (drigas) and lye (NaOH or KOH). The Noah red devil can be found in the supermarket in teh drain cleaner aisle.

NaOHb (red devil) must be at least 96% pure, use exactly 3.5 grams.
If KOH it depends on the strength.
If it's 99% pure (rare) use exactly 4.9 grams.
If it's 92% pure (more common) use 5.3 grams.
If it's 85% pure (also common) use 5.8 grams.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:37 AM
schelled
New User
I am in the process of setting up two engines to do some hp/emissions testing on 100% biodiesel ..our city is running two buses (2 stroke Detroits) on the fuel....would be interested to hear from "efoster" on how his testing went

Old 11-01-2005, 12:57 PM
efoster_01
Senior User
Originally Posted by schelled
I am in the process of setting up two engines to do some hp/emissions testing on 100% biodiesel ..our city is running two buses (2 stroke Detroits) on the fuel....would be interested to hear from "efoster" on how his testing went
well I cant really share actual results as its yet to be published University information. but I can tell ya this much, efficiency increased. Most likely due to its solvent properties which cleaned everything real nice. *** some have said, plan the switch around changing your fuel filtes, it will clean your tank and trash your filters. There is no soot when properly refined, which eliminates the problems with EGR valves beeing sooted up. (But no cool black smoke clouds on a hard launches ) As far as power goes the latent heat end energy is very close, but tho soybean bio diesel gradually gave more power on the dyno, mostly credited to the cleaning affects. i wanted to test it on a brand knew engine first then run strait diesel as a 2 way comparison, but did not have a brand new engine available to me.

Bone

Old 11-02-2005, 04:29 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Come on open your minds. Your 40k trucks can run on comm clean bio with no prob. Most of the dino stuff is dirtier than bio from home or commercial grade. Why come to this forum if your not willing to try somthing. 10, 20, and 30 micron filters take out more junk in bio before it is processed. Dino is just dumped in a tank at the station with the top open when its raining and the guy dumps some more chem junk in and walla, you get to change that 20 buck filter if he kick dirt in that tank. Ive spent more bucks on a bad batch of watered dino than I like to admit.

Quick Reply: Home made Diesel