How can I tell if I wiped a cam lobe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 06:52 PM
scamardo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery noise solved. 2 bent pushrods. Both Intake valves, on #1 and #3. #1 was bent under the intake at about 30 degrees. Can't get #3 out it is bent so bad.

I have the Comp Cam 33-238-4, grind XE262H-10. Would Comp be able to match me some pushrods? I can't tell if the lobes are wiped. I am hoping they are not.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:27 PM
scamardo
Elder User
Spoke with Comp Cams. The guy said the pushrods were too short. So I measured as best I could with the ruler I have. The ones in the truck are a hair over 9 1/2 inches which the wife said is like 9.54 or something. Comp said I need 9.62 inch pushrods. My math sucks, so Ford will never hire me to work on the new Shelby GT.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:42 PM
zsir
Senior User
Originally Posted by scamardo
Spoke with Comp Cams. The guy said the pushrods were too short. So I measured as best I could with the ruler I have. The ones in the truck are a hair over 9 1/2 inches which the wife said is like 9.54 or something. Comp said I need 9.62 inch pushrods. My math sucks, so Ford will never hire me to work on the new Shelby GT.
So they want more preload....that's kinda strange.....

I have that cam I think Falconstng uses it too....

did it run good for a little while at least...?

Old 08-24-2005, 08:02 PM
scamardo
Elder User
Oh yea, it ran real good but I babied it. But there was a definite increase in torque, just dropping it in drive and driving normal. Ran good, sounded good. That popping noise wasn't the carb, it was the pushrods banging.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:03 PM
scamardo
Elder User
Originally Posted by zsir
So they want more preload....that's kinda strange.....

I have that cam I think Falconstng uses it too....

did it run good for a little while at least...?
Do you happen to remember what size pushrods you installed?

Old 08-24-2005, 08:09 PM
zsir
Senior User
I just got the motor in the truck but I need a few things before I start it....I'm running factory adjustable rocker setup from DSC...

Have you pulled a lifter to see if everything is ok....?

Old 08-24-2005, 09:36 PM
scamardo
Elder User
Not yet. I started the teardown tonight. Drain the radiator and I can pull the intake. Should be able to see them tomorrow night.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:10 AM
discman
Senior User
Even with no mechanical interference a over loose or over tight rocker will bend those pushrods. you must pull at least the intake and inspect everything to avoid further damage.

Last edited by discman; 08-25-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:07 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 302 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by discman
Even with no mechanical interference a over loose or over tight rocker will bend those pushrods. you must pull at least the intake and inspect everything to avoid further damage.
And if you didn't have enough preload on the lifter, there won't be enough pressure as the lifter initially rides up the ramp on the lobe. Then, you don't get the lifter spinning enough, which will lead to cam lobe wipage Conversely, too much pressure on the lifter, it scores itself up riding on the back end of the lobe, and things do downhill from there.

I just find it very weird that everyone I've personally heard of with lobe wipage says they had bent pushrods...

I wiped a few lobes on a cam, almost 100% sure it was because I didn't use CAM break-in-lube (as opposed to engine assembly goo). That thing rapped for the last 20 miles on the way home like something was coming out the valve cover. Didn't bend a pushrod...

Old 08-25-2005, 01:05 PM
72 f250cs
New User
did you have new valve guides installed i hear alot of problems occur because the guides are not honed properly and cause the stems to bind up have you watched the rockers move upi and down with the valve covers off to see if they are all moving up and down the same height did a caddy once and some how didnt get the pushrods in the lifters properly and bent 6 peushrods and bent 6 valves the thing is it ran great on 4 cyl

Old 08-25-2005, 03:30 PM
scamardo
Elder User
I spoke to the engine builder, name is Parks Nash. The man knows FE's and has been doing business for 40 years. He rebuilt my heads for me and installed hardened seats, stainless 428CJ valves (by my request) and used the valve springs that came in the K kit from Comp. He used bronze valve guides. He told me today that he believed that this was a fluke and that those stock size rods should have worked fine with the cam I had in it. He said I should put new 9.62's in there and try again.

Old 08-25-2005, 03:43 PM
FalconStng
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is the same cam that I have. I haven't had any problems with mine yet. I did the run in as recommended. I put the recommended springs on the valves. I also put the adjustable rockers on from DSC. When I adjusted mine, I turned each one until all the slack was out and then went 3/4 turn more. I've had mine running for 3 or 4 weeks now....turned up to 6000 rpm last week with no problems....I know I shouldn't be doing that but I couldn't help it....LOL.

edit....I also added the cam run in additive from comp cams to the oil when I started the engine up the first time. Don't know if it helped or not but I figured it couldn't hurt. I changed the oil after 100 miles.

Tracy

Last edited by FalconStng; 08-25-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:02 PM
scamardo
Elder User
Ok, think I may have lucked out. Knock on wood.

I pulled the intake and got the bent rod out. 40 degree bend on the lifter side. I pulled the two lifters in question and they look good. Like the day I put them in. Flashed a light at the cam and didn't see any scarring or pitting. Still a little bit dark on the lobes, but you can see a wear pattern beginning. Put the lifters back and rotated the engine twice by hand to see the lifters moving up and down as expected.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:09 AM
zsir
Senior User

I pulled the intake and got the bent rod out. 40 degree bend on the lifter side. I pulled the two lifters in question and they look good. Like the day I put them in. Flashed a light at the cam and didn't see any scarring or pitting. Still a little bit dark on the lobes, but you can see a wear pattern beginning. Put the lifters back and rotated the engine twice by hand to see the lifters moving up and down as expected.
that's good news.....I guess CC is right on about the longer pushrods...??? lets see what the local experts think

Old 08-26-2005, 11:18 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 302 Likes on 157 Posts

Cool!

Now for the hard part - adjusting the valve lash

Quick Reply: How can I tell if I wiped a cam lobe?