Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

late model frame swap

Old 08-23-2005, 10:07 PM
unimodrod
New User
unimodrod is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question late model frame swap

needing any info for swaping late model suv w/4 whl indep suspen to unibody f100
can 4x4 frame be converted to 2wd? wanting to put old styling with modern
drive train. must be all FORD swap.

thanks,
dave

Old 08-24-2005, 02:16 PM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
FordBoypete is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wink

Dave,
The easy answer is anybody can do anything with enough skill, equipment, patience & money, to pull it off. Having said that, what's the point of making a 4Wd late model with IRS into a 2Wd "one off" ? I mean SUVs are inbetween wanna-be vehicles that don't really do anything remarkably well except eat money & handle poorly, and on occasion roll over easily.

Why wouldn't you use a F Series Frame that nearly falls into place with a minimum of alteration & prep', yet delivers anything any late model SUV frame can deliver & more, with a greater durability, potential for better handling and performance. Yet what bolts into a "reasonably late model" SUV bolts into an older, more durable, truck style frame?

My Slick sits on a 79 F-150 frame it has tweaked suspension & power train. The last thing I have to consider is any SUV keeping up with me, anywhere anytime either in performance or economy. I also don't worry about rolling my Slick over. It corners flat, sticking like paint of a double line on a mountain road. It's FoMoCo from its' 460 to its' paint color. . FORD is even written across the tailgate so stuff I get ahead of has something to do while they try to keep up, or catch up. . . . .

My point is if you're contemplating doing the retro/ Upgrade, work, expense, outlay, et al why not do it so as to come out ahead, or better off than you were when you started. Ball joints, Control Arms,Coil Springs & frame flex are okay for an automobile I suppose, but for an integral bed or uni truck, as you call it, why wouldn't you prefer a truck based suspension & chassis system? Or am I missing something here?

IMHO SUVs are stuck between vehicles, they are not good trucks nor are they good cars. They are not long lived, they lack sophistication (generally speaking) to either perform well or run economically either. . . So where's the advantage in this proposed swap. . . . For a Tax shelter?. . . . . or maybe a write off ?

I would not go through all that to end up with SUV Running gear that was reduced from a marginal 4X4 set up it once was, to a "one off" 2Wd conversion. Obviously I'm against the Idea for several reasons, but I only went there because you asked.

I don't mean anything other than, I believe your proposal's not a worthwhile project, especially for an Integral Bed, Slick, Pick Up.

But hey man. . . . this is only my $.02 worth.

FBp

Last edited by FordBoypete; 08-24-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:29 PM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
FordBoypete is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wink

By the way Dave,
Welcome to FTE,
This is the meeting place for slick minded truck affecinados, there are plenty here, and probably some with an opinion different than mine above. But I'm giving you what I honeslty believe or know.
Anyway welcome to the site Man!

FBp

Old 08-24-2005, 07:38 PM
unimodrod
New User
Thumbs up

FBp

thanks for your input, interested in all pros & cons of this sort of project.
looking at building a cruiser instead of heavy muscle, but lightning
is a possibility.

any feedback in body mounts for f150 frame??

thanks again,
dave

Old 09-11-2005, 11:05 AM
unimodrod
New User
FBp
still don't have truck at home yet, it does have 292 engine. don't know about tranny.
if tranny is auto, i would like to stay with this combo, what are your thoughts about
changing front axle and ft & rr brakes?

thanks again
dave

Old 09-12-2005, 06:54 AM
William
Postmaster
William is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The nicest 4x4 Uni-Body I have seen was a driver sitting on a 79 F100 4x4 SWB. This truck looked stock and appeared to be a nearly bolt on deal. I am not a 4x4 Fan, but this truck looked like Ford should have done it. This swap gets 20 years of technology in a classic body style and would be fairly easy to accomplish. IMHO!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.