1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Work on the '64 has begun...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 11:23 AM
kens64
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work on the '64 has begun...

After sitting for 5 years, a little gas in the carb was all the 292 to fire up and idle like it did when I parked it Drove it to the back yard (found out the brakes dont work anymore LOL) and started the teardown.

So far, I welded up the rusted floor mounts in the cab, and filled the holes in the cab for the fuel tank, and the antenna. The stock tank is going in the bed. The interior is stripped and undercoated. Now to find the right IFS to get this bad boy in the weeds. If money premits, I will use airbags front and rear to lay frame. To the purists out there, you probably wont like it when its done LOL.

Even after breathing welding fumes, grinding smoke, working 40+ year old bolts loose, running away from large spiders, and trying to keep from getting cut open by jagged rusty metal, I forgot how much fun these old trucks are to play with So much more productive than sitting around watching TV.

I dont post much in this forum ( I do lurk in here alot) so I thought I would let everyone know there is one more Slick getting reborn.

Old 08-22-2005, 02:55 PM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what are you using for your IFS....I have not heard of anyone who has found a setup to go under the straight axle trucks....

Old 08-22-2005, 02:57 PM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
Fatman has a sweet IFS. That's what I'm using in my 63 Uni.

Old 08-22-2005, 03:47 PM
kens64
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, Fatman makes a great setup. Cant remember the name, but there is a company that has a kit that uses Dodge Dakota suspension parts too.

As for me, my Dad has done custom suspension swaps for years, and him and I are going to cruise through a junkyard here and find a car to swap the parts from. Probably a newer LTD or something in that range. That way I get disk brakes, and perhaps power steering too. Im lucky to have a Father that can do this kind of thing, or else it would just have the straight axle forever.

He can figure out all the geometry to make it work right, so Im not too worried. I refuse to cut my frame, so it wont be a graft like people used to do in the past. Just swapping the suspension parts onto the '64 frame. Like some have done with the Aerostar clip.

The rear will probably be a C notch and flipped axle.