Distributor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 12:14 PM
fasthauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Distributor Problem

I am hoping that you guys can help me with a problem on my wife’s 1986 Ford T-Bird with a 3.8L V6.

I purchased a new “PIP Sensor” for her EEC-IV distributor. I measured the resistance of the darn thing before installing it and everything measures ok except the ground pin does not go to frame ground like the old one does. The book says that this is the ignition ground source so I have a hard time believing that it is not needed. I do not want to install it until I know for sure that it is not a problem. Has anybody had any experience with this?

Old 08-28-2005, 11:10 AM
fasthauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Well since I didn't get any replies from you guru's out there I answered my own Thread.

After six phone calls and three emails I finally got through to an engineer at Niehoff that knew what the heck he was talking about. He agreed that there was a design flaw.

If you turn the PIP Module over you will find three female tabs that plug into the TIF module. The far left tab should be grounded to the eyelets. This grounds the vehicle brain through the distributor. Check this tab with an ohm meter if you buy an aftermarket PIP Module. If it's not grounded to the eyelets DON"T PUT IT IN. It can possibly damage the brain.

By the way, I ordered a brain from Rock Auto at less than half the price of a new one from the stealership.