1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Rodders vs. Restorers, food for thought

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 06:47 AM
mikecarson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rodders vs. Restorers, food for thought

Maybe I shouldn't be posting this, might start another feud, but I found this interesting.

http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/1941buick/Editorial%204.htm

Old 08-21-2005, 08:11 AM
walkhaulsey
Junior User
This paragraph says it all, we are individuals aren't we?
"So what’s the problem, guys? We all like our cars; we like driving them, we like working on them, we like showing them and everything else about owning them. We like fine machinery, quality craftsmanship (and I’d argue that many rods are as finely crafted as any car built at the height of the Classic Era), and beautiful bodywork. We like the same things about cars! The only difference is how we express ourselves in sheetmetal."

Old 08-21-2005, 08:41 AM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

I will have to side with the guy writing the article. To each their own.
When I look at someones car I see that persons ideas and thoughts. I see their workmanship and pride. I can walk thru a car show and enjoy every car. I have never been a Chevy guy or a Ford guy or any manufacturer. I appreciate them all. They all have their good points and their bad and we are all intitled to our own opinons. I live in a very very die hard FORD family. But yet in my driveway there is a Ford, GMC, Oldsmobile, Jeep, and yes even a Volkswagon and I have loved and hated them all. They have all treated me well because one thing my father taught we was that if properly maintained any vehicle will treat you right.
So that said you guys do what ever you want to your cars and trucks it is yours to do with as you want.

jd

Old 08-21-2005, 12:13 PM
magee
Elder User
I have to agree with jd. It's your ride, do what you want to with it. I lean more to the rodder side since I like to drive something unique, but I also enjoy the restored vehicles as they require just as much effort (if not more) to finish. The only group of car people I don't quite understand are the numbers matching, date coded, crayon mark restorers. It seems to me that going that far would take all of the fun out of building the car in the first place. Just my opinion, and you know the saying about those.....

Old 08-21-2005, 12:17 PM
mikecarson
Senior User
That's the kind of replies I was hoping for. Was at a cruise-in last weekend, and there was an animated conversation going on between two guys with 49/50 Effies. One rodded, one restored. Both trucks looked real nice, and it sounded like these guys had this conversation before...lol.

I did point them towards this website.