clutch smell 95 F-250

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Pedplar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch smell 95 F-250

I have a 95 F-250 300ci I just replaced a clutch for a friend. now the clutch pedal has a lt more free play. maybe 2 in of pedal travel befoe it starts to disengage. and you can smellsomething. like the clutch is getting burnt. called a shop and they said that the throwout bearing is riding on the pressure plate. not to concerned about the pedal travle right now but am about the clutch smell

Last edited by Pedplar; 08-13-2005 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Pedplar
New User
Got the pedal freeplay fixed bleed it a little more. with just normal driving I could not get the smell. the only way I could get it to smell was to ride the clutch, and on some take offs with high rpms and slowly lettiung off of the clutch. ant one have any ideas

Old 08-13-2005, 02:29 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
until you fix it stop driving/experimenting. if you have not already, you will smoke that clutch in a hurry. go through everything you did with the install and see if something was left out.

Old 08-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Pedplar
New User
what would be wrong. put a new pilot bearing in. put a new fly wheel on torqued it down , put the clutch disk and pressure plate on aligned it, torqued the pressure plate down. took the old release bearing off of the slave, put the new bearing on bolted the tranny back up put the crossmember and drive shaft back on. hooked the clutch line up, gravity bleed the clutch just in case there was air in it, and there was a little air. how much free play should there be. I have about 1 inch right now. I think I can feel the pressure plate fully disengage the clutch at about 3/4 down. and the clutch will start to grab at about half way up. the clutch isn't slippping or anything. the only time you can smell it is when your riding the clutch. if you drive it normal its fine

Old 08-13-2005, 05:38 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
sounds like you did everything right. you said you re-bled and it got better. could the smell be from breaking it in?

Old 08-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Pedplar
New User
so the clutch will smell while its breaking it in. any ideas how long it will take. mihght have put 50 miles on it. most of what was country roads. miles of non stop driving

Old 08-13-2005, 09:29 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
i am not sure about if it should smell, last time i had a clutch put in i put new tires on the same day. so i remember the rubber smell more from the new tires.

does it still smell?

is it working ok?

Old 08-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Pedplar
New User
it works like any other manuall I have driven. under normal driving it doesn't smell. the only time it smells is when you rev the engine up and very slowly let off the pedal. but under normal stop and go driving it works just like it should.