6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dead Spot on the punch

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 03:22 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
I'll take your word for it about the fuel situation. I know you won't be able to answer this unless you are one of the engineers, but how can it be any better for the tranny\entire driveline to start off slow like they do and then all of a sudden when the turbo spools it feels like you have rockets under your truck?

More brilliant engineering???? That has got to be heck on u-joints, driveshafts, gears, etc.
U-joints, driveshafts, and diff gears are alot cheaper to replace than a Torqshift

Not to mention that those components are already so overbuilt on these trucks that I haven't even broken mine yet

Old 08-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Mark Oomkes
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just saying that if they are that worried about the TS not being able to handle the power that the proper amount of fuel will provide (with a load and a heavy foot), turning the truck into a virtual rocket as soon as the turbo spools isn't a whole lot more brilliant.

If this is the case, they are just trading problems. People are going to get used to power braking or rolling into it and then matting it and create problems with other driveline components. Maybe not right away, but down the road.

But then really power braking isn't the best thing for the tranny, either. Do it too often and you will burn up the nice expensive TS.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
I wouldn't think that a bit of light power braking is any different than the load applied to the torque converter when you start trying to actually move the trailer.

As far as an easy start followed by heavier acceleration when the turbo spools up being hard on U-joints, etc., I don't think that should be the case. The initial slop is taken out when you start to move forward however slowly. As long as continuous pressure is applied to the drive train, then adding more force to increase the acceleration shouldn't be an issue.

What hurts the parts is to have them sitting there loose with some play in the drive train and then wham, apply the full torque of the motor by say dumping the clutch.

Not that you'd get the full torque of the motor with no load applied by hopefully you get what I mean.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Troy G
Who Knows the reason for the dead spot on the punch in the 6.0L Powerstroke? It's embarassing to let a Duramax leave you at the line. After the urbo spools up it's very impressive but too late!
There is definitely some turbo lag, but there is also "pedal lag", since the truck is a fly-by-wire throttle system.

The solution?
Grab a programmer (not an inline device, but a flash programmer).
The popular ones reduce throttle lag and turn the truck into a duramax eater.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
U-joints, driveshafts, and diff gears are alot cheaper to replace than a Torqshift

Not to mention that those components are already so overbuilt on these trucks that I haven't even broken mine yet
U in Georgia or FL today?

Old 08-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Daryl Hunter
I wouldn't think that a bit of light power braking is any different than the load applied to the torque converter when you start trying to actually move the trailer.
I don't know what "light power braking" is. LOL

Most of the 4WD trucks I've had have seen CONSTANT 4WD brake torque launches.
Put truck in 4WHigh, leave shifter in drive.
Sit at a stop with your left foot FIRMLY on the brake and hold it there while you floor the accelerator.
With your feet firmly holding the gas and brake on the floor, wait until the engine is turning at least 2100 RPM. When is does, QUICKLY lift your foot off the brake with no hesitation, and leave the right foot planted on the floor with the gas.

Talk about 60' times!

Of course, this is only fun with a programmer. It sucks stock.

Several friends trucks have endured HUNDREDS of these runs with no issues.
Do it at your own risk, but IMHO it isn't much risk.

A light power brake is nothing compared to this. It's the same as trying to accelerate with a load behind the truck.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:25 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
yes i dont see why people get all worried about powerbraking. it is NOTHING compared to the force exerted on the parts when you are rolling 3200 RPM up a hill with the pedal matted and a heavy load. but it just seems more extreme because youre sitting still.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:18 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Vic_Ferrari
U in Georgia or FL today?
Looking at heading your direction on Tuesday... you have voicemail on the cell

Last edited by PSD 60L Fx4; 08-12-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Mark Oomkes
Senior User
OK, I stand corrected. Or sit, whichever.

One other thing I thought of then. Supposedly the TS is a very strong transmission design, correct? If so, why did they purposefully 'defuel' the engine so it does have this amount of turbo lag or pedal lag?

Old 08-13-2005, 10:06 AM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
OK, I stand corrected. Or sit, whichever.

One other thing I thought of then. Supposedly the TS is a very strong transmission design, correct? If so, why did they purposefully 'defuel' the engine so it does have this amount of turbo lag or pedal lag?
I wouldn't say it is purposeful. Turbo lag is inherent in the design, and other than loading it up with fuel off the line there isn't too much you can do to solve it. The "pedal" lag is simply the time it takes for the computer to recognize that you just matted the throttle, and there's not much you can do about that either, other than upgrade the processor...but thats not feasible.

The reason they don't load it up with fuel from a dead stand-still in the factory calibration is to keep particulate emissions down to meet EPA standards.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Troy G
New User
Yes, I know about turbo lag, but my 7.3 didn't have near as much, assuming this is the culprit. I have wondered if the electronic controlled throttle didn't have some kind of a delay that actually desensitizes the "punch" perhaps there is an old style cable kit out there that would solve this. Also the 6.0 is supposed to be equipped with a new style turbo with variable rpm sensitive weeights that allow it to spool up faster,NOOOOOTTTTTT! Maybe I'm just expecting too much from the company who has manufacured every truck, 9 now that I have ever owned. Hope the Ford Engineers read some of this stuff!

Old 08-18-2005, 12:15 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
yes i dont see why people get all worried about powerbraking. it is NOTHING compared to the force exerted on the parts when you are rolling 3200 RPM up a hill with the pedal matted and a heavy load. but it just seems more extreme because youre sitting still.
Well techincally it is more - usually when you are going up a hill with 3200rpms, you are in a higher gear (3rd or 4th), therefore there is a lot less torque multiplication than when you are in first.
I am not aware of where powerbraking has caused an issue though.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:44 AM
jello
Senior User
I hope what I am going to say will make some sense so here goes.

I have heard that the newer GM trucks (gas) have a pcm program called torque management. These trucks also have drive-by-wire throttles. When you floor it the throttle blade doesn't go wide open right now like it does with a cable, and they also pull ignition timing out.

The new mustangs don't respond to modifications as well ( cold air kits, exhaust, etc. )
because of a similar type of system. Need a custom tune or programmer or something.

Do the 6.0's have something like this maybe? Reason for Dead pedal? Pedal lag?

Old 08-18-2005, 01:59 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
No.

The reason the Mustang and the GM trucks (well I am not sure about the GM trucks) have that is because they have an Electronic Throttle Body (ETB).
Through various parts of the programming it will cause a reduction in the % the throttle is opened compared to the accelerator angle. This can be due to traction control, or other reasons, limiting the % of opening.

Diesels don't have a throttle body, as thier power is simply governed by fuel, unlike gassers, which is due to air. So it isn't it the same.
The reason the 6.0l has the "lag" is due to the turbo. At lower rpm's and loads, there is not enough exhaust gases flowing through the turbo to keep it spinning at a high enough rpm. The turbo essentially dictates the power output of the machine, if its not spinning, the engine won't be making power.
So, when you put your foot to the floor, you need to wait for enough exhaust gases to be flowing through the turbo before it starts creating enough boost pressure to accelerate quickly.
The Variable Vane turbo assists, but it certainly doesn't solve the issue.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:29 AM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
Looking at heading your direction on Tuesday... you have voicemail on the cell
Voicemail?

I don't have one from you.
I've about had it with Nextel.

I do have a bajillion missed calls from a 614 area code with no messages.
Is that you?

I haven't answered it because sometimes people get a hold of my number and want to chew my ear off. If it's not a local number and I don't recognize it, I generally do not answer until someone leaves a message.

Quick Reply: Dead Spot on the punch