Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Choosing a programer

Old 08-05-2005, 03:34 AM
welder2000
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing a programer

I am looking at getting a programer for my 97 f250 5 speed gauges 4" diamond eye exhaust no cat Tymar intake and filter. I'm trying to decide between the edge and the supperchip. I mainly want this for towing and mpg's.I wouuld also like to know if one has better EGT numbers than the other. On another note I just read the post on cleaning the evap coils for the A\C I'm going to check it first thing in the morning, we have had a long streek of 100+ temps here latly every little bit helps. Thank's for the tip's.

Old 08-06-2005, 04:18 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nobody running one of those tuners has an opinion?

I don't have a tuner, so my opinion is gat a multi position chip. That way you can have a tow program and a milage program and an extreme program all at the flick of a switch.

Tuners are nice because for the same money (or less) you get a code reader built in.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:55 AM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
I have an Edge Evolution tuner - but I can't compare it to the Superchips because I know nothing about the Superchips.

I know that Dale Isley of Tymar recommended the Edge. Because of the ability to manually control trans programming with the Predator, I now wish I had gotten that one. Since I am planning to eventually switch to a flip chip, I went with his programmer recommendation.

However, everyone says that the programmers don't as much difference for the pre-99 trucks as they do for the 99+ trucks, as far as power, etc. Ask around, but I suspect you might be better off with a chip - except that a programmer lets you read and reset codes, which is one of my reasons for wanting one.

How does the Edge work in my truck? Pretty nicely. In 60hp (tow) setting, it'll spin the tires in first and pulls much better when getting onto a freeway. In 80hp setting, it will smoke off the rear tires in first and into second. Throttle response is great - but my foot seems to push harder than it should and my fuel mileage went down. Nowadays, lower fuel mileage is not a good thing.

In 100hp setting - it blows way too much black smoke when I step on it, and doesn't feel much different than the 80hp setting - so I don't use it.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:38 AM
QFD90
Senior User
I use the Superchip tuner. I love it. Plent of extra power. I never have a high EGT spike unless I get wild on the high setting. And I noticed about a 1.5 to 2 mpg difference on the highway.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Mark at DPPI
Elder User
welder,

ANY of them will make a big difference but here's how we help customers decide which one to get. If all you plan to do is install it at say 60-80 HP and forget it get teh Superchips, does a great job and is a set it and forget it product. If you are the kind that wan't to get involved in diagnostics etc and watching parameters as you drive get the Predator (only availabel for the 1999+ SD's), it will even let you record up to 30 mintues of run time!! If you want a good product and feel you'll use the 0-60 and 1/4er mile elapsed timers get the Evolution from EDGE. Overall we sell more of the Evolution than any other programmer, on the 1st generation PSD's the Superchip is real close though! We've heard all the questions before so if you have any call us and we'll be glad to help you with them.

Mark @ DPPI

Search this Thread