1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Locking lugnut problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 04:17 PM
magee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking lugnut problem...

I seem to be full of questions, but while making my list of the things I need to do, I discovered that the American Racing wheels that were put on my truck have those locking lugnuts. Now, is it me or is it kind of funny that someone would steal a truck and then lock his wheels on? Has anyone tried to remove these things? I have an air chisel, but I'm reluctant to use it. Any ideas? And thanks again to everybody who has responded to my other posting, you have all been a big help.

Old 08-04-2005, 04:32 PM
farmtwuck
Senior User
I think you can go down to the auto parts store and buy the different pattern "sockets" to remove the locking lug nuts. If they aren't available try a stud remover that fits on a 1/2" or 3/4" drive ratchet. The stud remover has a knurled wheel which grabs the stud (lug nut) in a hole. You might also try a nut splitter and just destroy the locking lug nut. If you're careful the threads on the stud should be okay.

Hope thhis helps.

Old 08-04-2005, 04:35 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 896 Likes on 811 Posts
Last time we had tires put on my wife's car, they couldn't find the socket (it was right where we said it was). The changer said they had a special tool... yeh right... vise grips.

Old 08-04-2005, 04:36 PM
oldfordtrucksrule
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i always have used a 12point deep well socket, hammered on the end of the offending nut. then slowly turn it loose with a breaker bar. thats the same way the special tool you buy off the tool truck works. i think most of those lockr nuts take a 21 mm socket but it has to be 12 point and helps to be deep well. dont be afraid to beat the crap out of the socket ya i know thats not the right use of the tool but itll work. it might break a cheap socket maybe go with at least a craftsman.thats how i get em off at work.

Old 08-04-2005, 04:55 PM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts
I would contact a few tire shops and see what they have. I bought some special locking nuts for my ex-girlfriends car and the tire guy told me that there are only a few different types. Try a calling a couple of tire places and see if they sell them, if they do, drive it down and see if he's got the same type as you.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:26 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they're the MaGuard locks, there's 10-15 different ones. If you don't have the code, forget it and do the socket methd mentioned above. Just get a Tiawan cheapo socket, so if you break it, no big deal.

Barry

Old 08-04-2005, 06:30 PM
magee
Elder User
Thanks guys. Now I have a couple of options. I didn't want to learn the hard way if somebody else already has.