General Automotive Discussion

Pontiac GTO to be discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 06:29 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry DOHC but power aside I cannot abide owning a car that I don't like the looks of. The GTO falls into this category. It looks like a ricer before the ricer treatment is added. How long do you think it will be before we see fart cans and wings of these cars. This cars screams to be ricerized and that is a shame.

Concerning a Vette over a luxury car I would take the vette any day. If you have sat in one of the new C6's you would now what I mean. I have never sat in a car that was more supportive in my life. I think I could drive 1000 miles and never want to get out of the seat.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:41 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Terry, just interested, and I know you don't want the car, but:

Have you sat in a GTO?
I will eat my hat if you have sat in a car that is more comfortable over 1000 miles.
It was developed on the Stuart Highway. A highway that runs North to South in Australia over 2000 miles, has no speed limits and is pretty rough.
I think they even say in the article you linked that they are the most comfortable seats that they have sat in, even more so than the Vette.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:49 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tmyers
This cars screams to be ricerized and that is a shame.
Yes it is, because if someone does that I think they miss the point of the car - a subtley aggressive Grand Tourer.

Curious, what does everyone think of the looks of a Volvo C70?

Old 08-05-2005, 06:57 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Hey just so you know the vette and the GTO share the same seats. And not that I like the looks of the new GOAT, but I would hate to see it go. I think that what GM needs to do with it is just restyle the car. Maybe more like Dodge did with the Charger. And what I mean is Dodge used the coke bottle style of the '68-'70 cars and made it work for the new Charger. And aside from the front nose I think the car looks great. And I think that if GM where to make the new Goat look more like the '66-'67 cars they'd sell like hotcakes.But thats just my opinion. Take for what it's worth.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:12 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by paredneck33
Hey just so you know the vette and the GTO share the same seats.
I am sorry, but I have to disagree.
I know they share the same engine, and the transmission is the same - although the GTO has a different shifter linkage.

The seats on the GTO however are manufacturered here in Australia by Air International Interior systems.
http://www.aiinteriors.com.au/store/page.pl?id=174

Old 08-05-2005, 07:25 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigF350
Yes it is, because if someone does that I think they miss the point of the car - a subtley aggressive Grand Tourer.

Curious, what does everyone think of the looks of a Volvo C70?
I love the C70. It is uniquely Volvo. The problem with the GTO it looks like a Grand Am, a car that is not unique in anyone from any other car out there.

Concerning the GTO using the same seats as the vette, excuse me if I'm skeptacle about that. The vette is at least 5 inches or more shorter than the GTO and the GTO can does not need the side support that the vette needs. I don't see GM putting a much more expensive seat a car that does not require it. But not seating in a GTO I guess anything is possible.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:32 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
The problem with the GTO it looks like a Grand Am

And therein lies the problem (in my opinion).
I don't think it looks inherintly ugly. It just looks too much like a garden variety sedan.

This probably explains the sales disparity of the GTO between the US, and every other country where the Grand Am isn't available.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:58 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Old 08-05-2005, 08:23 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigF350
The problem with the GTO it looks like a Grand Am

And therein lies the problem (in my opinion).
I don't think it looks inherintly ugly. It just looks too much like a garden variety sedan.

This probably explains the sales disparity of the GTO between the US, and every other country where the Grand Am isn't available.

Agreed!!! I will NOT concede that it looks anything like a ricer.........a generic Pontiac......YES.

Now, add fart can(thanks, forgot about that one), wings, stickers and ANYTHING can be a ricer................I've just never seen a GTO done that way.....................YET!!!

As far as not buying something that you don't like the looks of.....hmmmmm.

I guess I'm on the fence. The CTS-V falls in that category to me, but I still think I could own one.

I actually thought the Super Duty was hideous in '99........own one now.

I purposely bought a '95 Mustang GTS........a decontented GT (no wing, no fog lamps, roll up windows, cheap seats)

Never thought the Taurus SHO was a real beauty..........owned one.

It's all a moot point............I'm in the minority, the car will die unceremoniously(sp?). The GTO IMHO was not a terrible looking car

Old 08-05-2005, 08:32 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster

They don't seem to want to load.............I'll try later.

Thank-you

Old 08-05-2005, 09:22 PM
2Fords1Jeep
Elder User
Bottom line is this. If you want a "real" GTO, Charger or Mustang find one that needs restoration, work on it for a few years and scour the swap meets for parts or plunk down 25-50g's and buy a restored classic car. Only then will you truly own a muscle car and appreciate it for what it as were intended for... going fast as stink and looking different.

Newer retro versions are nice if that's what you like or want, but they'll never be what the first generations were (especially if they have 4 doors).

Old 08-05-2005, 09:29 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 2Fords1Jeep
Bottom line is this. If you want a "real" GTO, Charger or Mustang find one that needs restoration, work on it for a few years and scour the swap meets for parts or plunk down 25-50g's and buy a restored classic car. Only then will you truly own a muscle car and appreciate it for what it as were intended for... going fast as stink and looking different.

Newer retro versions are nice if that's what you like or want, but they'll never be what the first generations were (especially if they have 4 doors).

Having a restored muscle/pony car is cooool. But don't think for one minute they are even close to being as quick, fast, can handle, stop and get the economy anywhere near the "retro versions".

We are currently living in the greatest time as far as automotive performance is concerned.

Do I want a classic muscle car? Hell YEAH!!!

Do I want one as an everyday driver? Hell No!!!

Old 08-05-2005, 09:55 PM
2Fords1Jeep
Elder User
Performance may be at it's zenith with today's engineering, but today's body styling is no-way, no-how anything close to the originality and forward ideas of the 60's and 70's.
No one is suggesting owning a muscle car as a daily driver unless you live in southern California. I am only stating, as someone who has owned and currently owns several muscle cars, that I would never consider buying a retromobile because to me they are fakers.
If GM, Ford or Mopar had any clever/talented original thinking designers and management like the ones "in the day", they could easily come up with a current design that could stand the test of time (like the current Corvette). In the mean time all they can do is resurrect old designs and models. Give me a break!

Old 08-06-2005, 01:44 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
I guess........I have an early Bronco and am always on the lookout for a 67-68 or 69-70 sportroof Mustang. Hard to say if I'll feel the same way 30 years from now over any year 2000's car.

I do remember, though, that in the late 70's the late 60's Mustangs and Camaros were sold and traded for near nothing.......it was no big thang. (buddy had a '69 Mach 1 with a 428 CJ that he sold for $2000 to buy a Datsun 510!!)

I'm just not so overly sentimental over re-using a name. I didn't get teary eyed when the Mustang II put on stripes and the UGLIEST snake sticker ever on the hood and called it a Cobra...............And the GTO moniker really holds no great value to me. Like I said, the "real" GTO couldn't hold the current GTO's shifter ball(s) in ANY performance category.

People are freakin' (negatively)over the 4 door Charger............lest they forget it was a FWD 4 cylinder POS that was even called a Shelby Charger before its latest incarnation!!!

Old 08-06-2005, 07:46 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Well I don't know about the older Mustang's compared to the 05 GT. I have already had one guy think it was a 68. Other than the headlights it is spot on. From a performance point of view the old stuff can't touch it.

Quick Reply: Pontiac GTO to be discontinued