Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2WD Snowplow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:06 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Chains, lots of weight in the back, and you should be able to get it done. Some type of limited slip/locker would be a great help, too.

It's not like you're plowing snow in Syracuse or Buffalo.

Having a contractor plow a driveway like that will cost a good amount of money. Get some quotes and see how much it will cost you, and weigh that against the possibility of unforeseen expenses in outfitting your truck for the job plus being able to stay inside while your driveway gets cleaned out for you.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:12 PM
gp42gpw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I called the guy near me who deals in plow parts. He told me as far as he knows the major brands have different plow frames for the F-150 vs F-250 the only one he said he knew was compatable was the 78-79 F-150 Supercab
which had leafs up front like the F-250 (I am not sure about this) but it does not apply to your years anyway .
So I guess putting a plow frame on you F-150 4x2 may be wasted money if you plan to move to a F-250 in the near future.
I have a recomendation since you are looking for a truck look for a F-350 4x4 it will have a solid Dana 60 front end and it will carry the plow setup much nicer than the IFS F-250 and more than likely it will have the 460 your after the only thing is I am not sure you will get a F-350 supercab I don't know what year they started that.
Good luck
Glen
05 F-350 4x4 Reg Cab 6Spd.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:35 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gp,

Thanks for the great advice... I really appreciate it.

Funny you should mention the F350... I have thought about one of those too... seems like I could go Extended Cab & 8' bed on an F250 or Crew Cab and and 8' bed on the F350 in those years. We've got a 17 month old little boy and our second child is due in January... right about the time the house is getting finished. If you can envision my pregnant wife snowed in, you'll see why I really appreciate your help! Anyhow, we need a big cab for our growing family.

If I were plowing commercially, I think that tougher front end would be real important, but I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too with this truck.

Most of the F350s I've seen are either whupped XLs with vinyl seats and rubber mats or extra-sweet PStroke Lariats. I'd like a nice one, but don't want to spend the big bucks for a real real nice one.

Seems like I've got more F250s to pick from and I'm hoping the IFS will drive a bit nicer/ride a bit smoother. I doubt the truck will spend 2% of its life plowing, and probably less than 10% with the plow on it. I'm finding more F250s that have been used as gentleman's trucks... 'course they all have a Windsor and an automatic.

Anyhow, thanks again... I'll quit thinking about putting band aids on the wrong truck and keep looking for the right one.

Greg