1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

88 Ranger A/C clutch rapid cycling

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 10:49 AM
cajunmike
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 Ranger A/C clutch rapid cycling

A/C has been converted over to 134a and has been working rather well, to my surprise. Did conversion myself and followed all the tips to do it right. Well know it is cycling in and out at about 10 seconds. Low side pressure is 91 and amb temp is 86 and the high side is 100. With the AC on full throttle the compressor comes on and kicks off when the low side pressure gets to 25 lbs. The high side pressure goes upto 165 lbs when the compressor kicks off. The air is cool when the compressor is on. When I retrofitted to 134a I am not sure if I put a blue or red orifice tube in. I am thinking that I went back with a blue one. I just found the red one that I had bought at the time I was doing the job and I listen to someone in the auto parts store and let them talk me into buying a blue one also and think I may have goofed up. I haven't tried to by pass the clutch to see if it would cool if it stays on. I have also noticed that the hose running drier to the comp. has some oily film on it. Must have a leak in it. Any ideas anyone. thanks.

Old 07-31-2005, 02:00 PM
Piffery1
Posting Guru
Sounds like slightly low refrigerant charge.

Old 07-31-2005, 02:38 PM
cajunmike
New User
You got it sir. Didn't have a clue so I started dumping 134 to her. Clutch started to stay on longer and my gauges where looking better. Ended up dumping to small cans in the system and she is blowing in the blue on the ref. thermometer. I have a set of the interdyonamic gauges with the sight glass and was wondering how to get the 134 to pass through the sight glass to check for bubbles. Pressures after adding the 134 was low side 30 and high side around 210 to 230. Does that seem to be about right?

Thanks Piffery 1 for your reply.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Piffery1
Posting Guru
Yep! Did you find a leak?
Don't know about the sight glass, my gauges don't have one. I never did put much faith in sight glasses even when they were built into the vehicles.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:42 PM
cajunmike
New User
The low pressure line looks like it may have a slow leak. However, I did change out my radiator and was thinking that in my roughness I may have caused some leakage at the fittings by the radiator. I don't know but it is cooling like new and will wait and see what happens. Thanks again. Oh, does the pressures I gave above seem to be close to what they are suppose to be.