Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hard starts, help!

Old 07-28-2005, 07:04 PM
carvnthetwisties
New User
carvnthetwisties is starting off with a positive reputation.
hard starts, help!

well, over the past several months i have had what i thought was battery problems, being new to diesels, i only bought one batt instead of both, well, a month later i had to buy the other one. Now, a month later, the starts are getting harder to roll over! I stopped by the local auto store to check the batts and alternator, driv side bat while off, sat at 11, had 846 amp, the pass side bat was a little better. While off, the pass side batt said, problem with electric system, asking if glowplugs were off. While running, the driv side batt would sit at 11, and not charge when I revved the engine up.

My question is, is this an alternator problem, or more like a slow electric drain of some sort? Auto store thought it was alt problem. If I turn it off and on, it starts up with no slow crank, but if I wait overnight, or when I get off from a long day at work, it's very slow to turn. If it was the alt, wouldn't it be hard to start everytime? Please help. Moving in a month to the east coast and need to get this resolved before I leave. Preferably by my own hands rather than paying dealer, thanks!

Thomas

Old 07-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
What's your voltage at the batteries with the engine running? It should be a minimum of 13.7. I like to see 14 flat.
If that checks out I would give a hard look at the starter itself, and the cables. All connections clean and bright, no corrosion anywhere.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:13 PM
carvnthetwisties
New User
carvnthetwisties is starting off with a positive reputation.
While running the driver batt would sit at 11, would not rise while revving engine, did this off and on for about 6 minutes.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Charging problem. Worn out alternator, possibly failing alternator connections on the back as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.