1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

vin & engine numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 02:01 AM
mattey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile vin & engine numbers

Hi , I've just got my 63 F100 back here in the uk & to register it I need the vin no. ( which is in the title) and the engine no. ( which is not) would any of you guys point me in the right direction as I could be scraping off dust & dried oil for days looking for them. thanks mattey

Old 07-26-2005, 04:05 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Welcome to FTE Matty, The best truck show on the net.

The VIN is stamped into the top passenger side chassis rail just ahaed of where the front axle crosses under. It runs from front to back and may be hard to find but it's there. The number that you are looking for should start like this F10 if it is a F100 or F25 if it is a F250. I would imagine that is all documinated during shipping a vehicle to another country.

That would tell you how it left the factory, but a lot could have been changed out in 40 years.

John

Old 07-26-2005, 05:59 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VIN would also be on the driver's door metal tag, though if it's been painted, door replaced, etc it may be missing.
Don't know where the engine # is on a '63.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:33 AM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Actually the plate on the door is a warranty data plate, even tho many people insist it's a VIN plate. Prior to 68 there were no VINs. They were S/Ns or Serial Numbers, and as usual my friend John is spot on accurate about where vehicle serial number is located on 61-66 FoMoCo F Series trucks.

The authentic vintage Serial Number can be used as, or substituted for, any required VIN, although not all S/Ns have or use as many characters or digits as a VIN will. . . .

Anybody can purchase data plates from several suppliers that will stamp anything the buyer wants to have put on them. Mine shows a 66 F-100 w/ 460 V8 385hp Engine, w/ C-5 A/T, and suspension that was never intended for a F-100. Even though I listed all the numbers & codes, much of the stuff I used wasn't even available until mid 70s. Those are the codes & numbers which I used on my door data plate, along with 66 Serial Number as stamped on the frame I removed when I replaced it.

Many folks have changed drivers doors & not swapped over the warranty Data Plate. I've seen F-100s with F-350 specs & serial numbers, and F-350s with F-100 data, so technically the warranty data plate is for nothing more than a service advisor (writer) to reference vehicles for warranty repair purposes.
AGAIN THAT ALL CHANGED BY THE 1970s when the Feds mandated uniform use of VIN Plates as is in effect now.

FBp

Last edited by FordBoypete; 07-26-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:34 PM
mattey
New User
Thank you jowilker & everybody else for your replies ,now I know about vin I just hope somebody knows where the engine no. is on a 292. I have a 1954 Motors manual & that says engine no on very early y blocks is on the bell housing , could this be on later ones too? Anyway thank you all for your help.
Mattey ( Jon)

Old 07-27-2005, 06:27 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Mattey (Jon) The only V8 offered in the truck would be a 292.

What is the concern about the number that you are looking for?

John

Old 07-27-2005, 08:28 AM
mattey
New User
Hi jowilker, thanks for the previous on the vin numbers. What I need to know on the 292 is where is the number usually stamped its , my engine has 40 years of dust& oil encrusted on it & the department of motor vehicles will not register it without an engine no. Thanks again mattey (jon)