General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Difference between Gin and Vodka

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 06:10 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Difference between Gin and Vodka

ok, just a simple question here....whats the difference between Gin and Vodka? i've seen both in the pantry, i've only had vodka in screwdrivers. are they interchangeable or what? someone educate me. yes, i am allowed to enjoy adult drinks legally i'm a whiskey fan (ice cold from the freezer). don't really drink much else when i do....

Old 07-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
In Canada We mix vodka with lots of things:

Vodka Tonic
Long Island Iced tea
Vodka Orange Juice
Vodka & Clamato Juice
Vodka & Lime Juice

Here are some others.

http://www.drinkstreet.com/category.cgi?category=28

Gin drinks are:

Gin & Tonic water
Sloe Gin Fizz
http://www.drinkstreet.com/searchres...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Old 07-23-2005, 06:28 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
does carbonated water=club soda? interesting site...i'm gonna have to give some of them gin drinks a try. look good.

Old 07-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
VODKA is made from potatoes, Gin is made from a combination of grain alcohol and juniper berry extracts (and sometimes other botanicals).

The name GIN comes from the Dutch word "Genever" which means "Juniper".

Gin has a notorious reputation because it is relatively cheap to make. It is essentially flavored grain alcohol that has been redistilled and processed so as to mellow it.

In the nineteen twenties during prohibition "Bathtub Gin" was cheaply made plain old grain alcohol.

The finer Gins are much better than this explanation implies - Bombay being my personal favorite. If you really want to make a comparison, try a plain old gin compared to Bombay Saphire. In Saphire - the botanicals and the unique aftertaste of the juniper truly stand out. I recommend Saphire and Tonic, with no lemon at all.
Ice if you must...

Old 07-23-2005, 07:31 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Wolf, you say Gin has a "notorious" reputation because its easy to make, but i personally NEVER hear anyone talk about drinking it. maybe its just because i live in the deep south and everyone here drinks Bud Light or Corona, whiskey or tequila. mom n dad have a bottle of cheap gin in the pantry, but other than that, nobody speaks of it. i guess i'll have to break everyone of that habit....i really wishi knew more about the different kinds of alchohals. grain, vs. barley and whatnot. i watch "Thirsty Traveler" on the food channel sometimes, gives me a bit of insight, but i guess it just takes time and much learning. i really don't like beer much, so i'm gonna try and broaden my view on different drinks that are not in most peoples arsonal. such as gin drinks and others. need to just try a differnt drink every time i eat out with friends, i suppose that would be one way to start. i do like wine with dinner though....

Mil1ion, thanks for the tidbit of info....interesting to say the least

Old 07-23-2005, 07:58 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Since you're a whiskey drinker.
Try these 2 that I came up with .
First you need shaved or crushed ice.

Mix your Whiskey with Welch's Grape Juice

Mix Vodka with Pink Lemonade.

These always turn into more than one.

Another use for Vodka is
Harvery Wallbanger Cake. You need Galianno (sp) for this as well.

Vodka & Clamato Juice is called a Caeser and is served with a salted rim and a stick of celery.
It was created in Calgary, Alberta years ago.

Old 07-23-2005, 08:06 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Harvey Wallbanger Cake??? hmm, when i went to school at A&M in College Station, there was a place that was a Laundramat/burguer joint that went by the name "Harvery Wallbangers"....is this the same thing?

i'll have to try those 2 combos....sound tasty. lemonade is good, as is grape juice.

Old 07-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Schmids4.9l
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taste wise, i think they taste exactly a like. They both taste like rubbing alcohol, and smell like it too. I don't mix them, just drink'em plain. You can mix anything clear with orange juice and make it taste good. I'm more of a jim beam and jack daniels fan. I think they taste great when not mixed with anything...but thats me. All my friends think I'm crazy not "chasing" liquor with anything, but oh well.

Old 07-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Superdave37076
Freshman User
Try the old standby - Salty Dog = gin & grapefruit juice, salt to taste

Sd

Old 07-23-2005, 09:44 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They both have one thing in common, they taste like anti freeze.
Dono

Old 07-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by RedStroker6
Wolf, you say Gin has a "notorious" reputation because its easy to make, but i personally NEVER hear anyone talk about drinking it. maybe its just because i live in the deep south and everyone here drinks Bud Light or Corona, whiskey or tequila. mom n dad have a bottle of cheap gin in the pantry, but other than that, nobody speaks of it. i guess i'll have to break everyone of that habit....i really wishi knew more about the different kinds of alchohals. grain, vs. barley and whatnot. i watch "Thirsty Traveler" on the food channel sometimes, gives me a bit of insight, but i guess it just takes time and much learning. i really don't like beer much, so i'm gonna try and broaden my view on different drinks that are not in most peoples arsonal. such as gin drinks and others. need to just try a differnt drink every time i eat out with friends, i suppose that would be one way to start. i do like wine with dinner though....

Mil1ion, thanks for the tidbit of info....interesting to say the least
Whiskey River take my mind,
Don't let her mem'ry torture me!
Whiskey River don't run dry,
You're all I've got, take care of me...

It a country western...

THANG....

Last edited by Greywolf; 07-23-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
It is not necessary to consume "ROTGUT" when options are available

PS: And I hope the blues licks in Willie's music run through your head all night long!

Last edited by Greywolf; 07-23-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Am I a BATSARD, or what?

Old 07-24-2005, 02:01 AM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
its all good Wolfie, i've had Mr. Strait playin all evenin ridin around wiht my gal. speaking of which, tiem for me to ge to bed, she's comin over tomorrow for a while to do some shooting. gonna introduce her to the 12 gauge and my .54 cal muzzleloader.

i'm still curious to try that gin/vodka and lemonade.....theres a cold thing of lemonade in the fridge right now....

Dono, you been drinking antifreeze? thats not good for ya

Old 07-24-2005, 02:14 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
I would post a writeup on all the differences but it lists how to make it, and I don't think that would be too family orientated. PM me and I'll give you a link, just tell me in the PM that you want it, bc I won't remember lol.

Quick Reply: Difference between Gin and Vodka