1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

engine color - 223 six

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 11:43 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine color - 223 six

I have the engine out of my 59 and want to degrease and paint it before I put it back. It looks like it was ford blue, and under that somesort of orange. Anyone know what color it was stock? (223 six) Parts house does not list any orange as a Ford color.

I am not rebuilding it yet - I just want to get it running and work on the rest of the truck for now. If I keep it, I will hot tank it later and do a full rebuild. Right now I am just replacing the timing chain, freeze plugs, and checking the rods and mains. I am spending a lot more time cleaning and painting the frame and firewall.

Any suggestions as to color? I am not locked in to stock if there is another combination that looks better.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:55 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well WillyB.. My 60 223 is orange and that all that paint that I see on it.. hope this helps a tad

Old 07-23-2005, 07:14 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Damn - had to go with GM orange - likely cost me a couple of mpgs.

But it sure is ORANGE!

Old 07-23-2005, 11:14 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gents

It's actually an Orange/Red, know as Ford Red, I've the # for it some where.
It's not really a true Orange, nor a true Red.
If held directly under a bright light source the Orange pops, but if the light is a None Directional light, it just looks Red.
@ least that has been my experience & what the individuals I know that worked for Ford @ the time, but have since retired, had to state about it.
Plus, I've a relative that was on the Ford Design Team during those years & that's what he has stated as well.

Last edited by Col Flashman; 07-23-2005 at 11:22 PM.