Sponsored by: DP Tuner

power steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 07:36 PM
kenzmad
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering noise

this is a 1999 f350 psd. this morning I noticed a noise when I turn my steering wheel left or right. it's worse going left. whats got me stumped is that I can cancel the noise by applying the brakes. Im going camping in the morning. Is this something that can wait til next week?

kenzmad

Old 07-22-2005, 02:30 AM
fedextech
Senior User
did you check the power steering pump fluid level ? it needs to be at the "cold" full mark, when it's cold. this fluid expands and contracts with temp changes. the sound changes when you apply the brakes because the same pump supplies fluid to the brake hydra-booster for the power brake system. more than likely, your fluid is low and it's allowing some air to enter the system. just fill it to the proper level and you should be ok. you should check for any leaks in the system asap. just a heads up, the high pressure line/hose from the pump to the hydra-booster is prone to snap off at the pump fitting, WITHOUT warning. it's much easier to replace this line/hose before failure than to wait for it fail at the worst time ! have a good weekend !

Old 07-25-2005, 04:21 PM
EJL96PSD
Senior User
Hey kenzmad did you ever figure out this problem? mine has started to do the same thing - minus the braking part, mine does it all the time. The power steering fluid is at the right level on mine. I just changed out the fluid this morning, the old stuff was starting to look bad, and took it for a drive hoping it might help. Still there. a year and a half ago my hose poped out when I was parking one day like fedextech mentioned. luckily I noticed and was at my wifes work, so i took her car got a new hose and slapped it on. funny how that stuff always happens when its 15 deg outside.

Old 07-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Big Red 00 F350
Junior User
Guys, I read about a TSB that Dieselmann had listed on his website:

99-2000 F-Series Power Steering Noise (part number correction):
Some of these trucks with the PowerStroke engine may exhibit power steering noise. If this noise is objectionable, there is a revised P/S line for between the P/S pump and Hydrobooster--YC3Z-3A717-AA.
Broadcast Message #8724

Old 07-26-2005, 09:39 PM
kenzmad
Junior User
just heard from the stealership today. the hydroboost is bad. $650.00 to replace. we'll see if that is the problem. I should get the truck back wed night.