Sponsored by: DP Tuner

PCM location??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:09 AM
wants_a_power_stroke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCM location??

I have a 2001 F-250 PSD that I want to use the Edge Evolution programmer on.
The guy I bought the truck from says he put a tow chip in it, but thought he put the stock one back in before he sold it. I want to make sure it has the stock chip, but I can't seem to find the PCM. It's probably right in front of me, but I must have been struck blind to it or something....

Thanks

Old 07-20-2005, 09:14 AM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You have to access it from the engine bay. drivers side, right behind the fender well. all you can see of it is the output ports, and the wireing harness coming off it. there are two 10 mm bolts holding it in the firewall, and 1 10 mm bolt holding the wireing harness onto it. you will have to lossen the inner fender well to remove it.

Diesel Rod

Old 07-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, that is not quite accurate. The PCM location is where wants_a_power_stroke described, but all you can do from the engine compartment is disconnect the harness from the module. You will find the PCM right next to the parking brake actuator on the inside of the truck to the left of the driver's feet. The PCM has a black plastic cover which is screwed to a bracket. You will need to disconnect the module and remove those screws and then slide the module out.

Most owners who use chips will do one of two things: cut an opening in the cover to allow the chip to fit or they will force the cover over it, usually leaving the module unsecured to the bracket. You will also want to be sure that the plug for the port where these modules are plugged into is there. An open hole invites dirt and moisture to wreak havoc on the inside of the PCM. Dust bunnies kill computers. I recommend a light film of white grease or a quick spray of silicone lube in the rubber grommet on the firewall to allow the module to easily slide back in.

________

Old 07-20-2005, 12:25 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
Actually, that is not quite accurate.
diesel rod is correct on an obs application but it may differ for the nbs.........

Last edited by 1997F-350; 07-20-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:45 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, the PCM on you 01 is just behind your parking brake. Has a black plastic cover over it with two bolts holding it in place.
You only have to remove the two bolts holding the PCM cover if you want to check if a chip is installed. You have to angle the PCM outward and pull on the cover only. The cover has a lip that wraps around the PCM about 1/4". Once you have cleared this lip, the cover will have enough room to slide back a few inches, enough to inspect and check if a chip is installed. There will be a black rubber plug sticking in the end of the PCM, or a chip. Pull the plug and shine a light. You'll either see a chip or a board edge connector. If you have a chip and wish to remove it, pull your keys from the ignition, disconnect the batteries and remove it.
The original owner did not have to place a stock "chip" back in. Either there is a chip installed or there isn't.
If you want to remove the entire PCM, you only have to remove one 10 mm bolt that holds the PCM harness to the PCM. You can access this bolt from the top just below your master cylinder. You'll see a bundle of wires that are routed and connected in a rectangular fashion. A tough angle to access. Just need to take your time.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:50 AM
wants_a_power_stroke
Senior User
Ok, that was simple enough to do. Thanks a lot for your help