1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Sloppy steering on an E350

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 01:21 PM
benracin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sloppy steering on an E350

The steering on my 89 E350 is pretty funky. I've told people that it's scary to which they reply oh it's probably just loose like an old truck. Then they take a turn in the seat and after a couple white knuckle miles finally admit that yes, it is scary, it's possessed.

I don't think it's going to fall apart or anything and if you're going under 35mph you don't even notice, but pick up the speed and get ready for some fun. It's much like sawing at the wheel of an old tractor.

What it feels like to me is that one wheel is allowed to rotate a bit as it pleases causing the van to steer side to side as it sees fit. A different tilt to the road, or horizontal breeze or just a change in the alignment of the stars causes the van to change directions. So while you're driving down the highway you're busy correcting the van over and over again. You want to go straight, van wants to take a left, you steer right a bit. Van wants to go right, you steer left a bit, and repeat. Add a trailer to this mix and you have some serious fun. It doesn't pull to the side, it doesn't just wander a bit, it wants to turn. Getting passed by a Semi is also fun.

It has a king pin front end which I'm told might be the problem, but I'm not really sure of how that all works. If it requires work on the king pin can I do it without taking it to a shop?

Any experience with wacky wandering fords out there? Please don't make me the race car driver the only person on my crew who can drive the 7 hours back home after 2 races earlier that day.

Thanks

Old 07-18-2005, 02:00 PM
packlet
Tuned
My '82 E350 used to wander around somewhat also. Doesn't sound like it was as bad as yours, though.

Check for play in the power steering gearbox and other steering components.

In Park with the parking brake on and motor running, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at it from underneath in front. This will allow you to see where the play is. Chances are, your helper will be able to turn the steering wheel a ways before you see the wheels actually turning. The reverse is happening as you drive down the road: the wheels are turning without the steering wheel...

I ended up replacing the power steering gearbox. you may have other issues requiring replacement of bushings or kingpins...

Old 07-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In any case, don't put this off any longer, do whatever it takes to get this problem fixed. I'm thinking that at least 2 components are to blame, for behaviour to be that bad.

Old 07-18-2005, 04:07 PM
ThatGuy Dan
Freshman User
I just replaced the steering knuckle, along with the king pin, the bearings and just about everything else related to the front wheel assembly. It's not a difficult task to remove the kingpin (but time consuming), although I couldn't imagine it causing your problems. You'll need pretty basic tools like a hammer, some wrenches, a clamp, possibly a sledgehammer (i needed it for the control arm), and most importantly a dowel rod to hammer out the king pin. Chances are if you don't have those tools, then maybe it's not quite a job for you. I'm a novice at working on cars and I didn't have a problem...although I did have a Haynes manual.

Old 07-18-2005, 04:42 PM
E350 RV
New User
Wink

Oh, yeah. It's sloppy all right. I was looking to buy my father in law's 1986 29ft E350 Winnie Minnie and one trip down the road put me off, it reminded me of the old Fairmont steering with about a half wheel play in both directions. Good thing the newer vans/trucks (and cars) are improved/cured. Or I'd be driving any other brand.

Old 07-18-2005, 05:00 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
I would agree with the above statements on the power steering box. If you can have someone move the steering wheel very slowly in both directions while you watch the steering arms etc. If you can move the steering wheel while parked more than 1 to 1 1/2 inches then more than likely a new steering box is needed. You can get a rebuild at a autoparts store. Good luck hope this helps.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:27 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by benracin
The steering on my 89 E350 is pretty funky. I've told people that it's scary to which they reply oh it's probably just loose like an old truck. Then they take a turn in the seat and after a couple white knuckle miles finally admit that yes, it is scary, it's possessed.

I don't think it's going to fall apart or anything and if you're going under 35mph you don't even notice, but pick up the speed and get ready for some fun. It's much like sawing at the wheel of an old tractor.

What it feels like to me is that one wheel is allowed to rotate a bit as it pleases causing the van to steer side to side as it sees fit. A different tilt to the road, or horizontal breeze or just a change in the alignment of the stars causes the van to change directions. So while you're driving down the highway you're busy correcting the van over and over again. You want to go straight, van wants to take a left, you steer right a bit. Van wants to go right, you steer left a bit, and repeat. Add a trailer to this mix and you have some serious fun. It doesn't pull to the side, it doesn't just wander a bit, it wants to turn. Getting passed by a Semi is also fun.

It has a king pin front end which I'm told might be the problem, but I'm not really sure of how that all works. If it requires work on the king pin can I do it without taking it to a shop?

Any experience with wacky wandering fords out there? Please don't make me the race car driver the only person on my crew who can drive the 7 hours back home after 2 races earlier that day.

Thanks
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Dannym
More Turbo
OK, assuming your E350 is similar to my '87 E150:
1. Most of the time this is just because you didn't lube the front end. Silly as it sounds, it'll start wandering around on the road because that type of steering system has some slack inherent to its design but it's not bad if the front end is lubed. The steering will still center itself. If it's binding due to poor lube it wanders all over! Just get a grease gun and hit the tie rod pts (4 I think) and the 4 kingpin pts. While you're at it hit the 2 fittings on the drive shaft u-joints btw.
2. Warning- the gearbox has a preloading adjustment on the side. Do not touch it! It won't pick up gearbox slack, can't be readjusted without removing it and doing some tricks with torque wrenches, and if you mess up the adjustment it WILL break the box in short order.
3. Look at the flex coupler between the box and the steering column. That one IS replaceable and has been known to wear out.

Last edited by Dannym; 07-18-2005 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:49 AM
VikingBabe
Posting Guru
My 82 E100 felt like that at first expecially with over correcting although it does not "hunt" and tracks straight. Better now with new tires all around. The steering box had been checked out after I first got it and there is some wear but not bad. The steering wheel was tightened down as it was looser than what I liked.

But I was not used to driving a "truck" and felt like I was overcorrecting too much compared to my 79 Cordoba. Have two and neither have the same steering "feel". That and feeling every wind gust/shift as it is an empty "box" to begin with. Felt "hairy" at first driving it but was determined. Finally learned it's "feel" and how not to overcorrect. Matter of lowering the hand position to feel the steering wheel's "catch" better. Became more accustomed to the wind blowing against the Van's slab sides at different angles when it blows hard out here.

However, most of the problem came from extremely worn out wheelbearings and no grease. Actually both outer ones were shot....completely (no needle bearings in one and the other was half a race with short "teeth")

Went ahead and replaced both inner and outer anyway along with the brake hose. Greased the front end. Feels ALOT better driving down the highway now. Even when the Big Rigs pass and the winds blow.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:07 AM
benracin
New User
Thanks a ton guys. I'll try that steering test and see what I can see. I have the chilton book. Do they call 'king pins' something else?

Old 07-19-2005, 12:10 PM
bluestarva
Junior User
I have to agree on the steering box. Mine started to leak in my '89 E250 and had to be replaced. Sters much better, but it still a little loose. I am planning on getting a steering stablizer to see it that will help.

Old 07-19-2005, 02:00 PM
benracin
New User
So can the steering box cause it to kind of turn in random directions? I can understand the loose steering causing it to wonder a bit, but what I get is a quick pull to a side direction every now and then. It's not enough to pull you off the road but it's a bit of a suprise to those who are not expecting it. With a little bit of training you do kind of learn to do tiny corrections to keep it from going back and forth but you still get a suprise every now and then.

And since the steering box is the most expensive part, would simply doing the tie rod ends do something? I noticed they offer both inners and outers, does a guy need to buy all 4? That's a bit-o-cash!

Old 07-19-2005, 02:24 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's probably a combo of king pins, and a bad drag link, or tie rod end... Check them all for unsual movement.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:42 PM
ThatGuy Dan
Freshman User
According to the Haynes manual that I used to replace my steering knuckle, the kingpin is the 7 or 8 inch rod that holds the steering knuckle in place. It has a notch in it where a bolt screws through it to hold it there. It weighs about 5 lbs or so. I couldn't find any good pics of it though.

When i want to find an image of something (for instance, if I have the word but don't know what it looks like) I go to www.google.com, then click the "images" button above the search bar. This searches the internet for picture only, not text. It's great.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Dannym
More Turbo
I should mention this steering box technology has play in it even when new. This is the hard lesson I learned. Thus you can look at it all day and still have no idea whether it's the problem or not. You'll see play but without a calibrated measure it means nothing.

Just do this- lube the entire front end before considering anything else. It's no trouble and there's a good chance it will make it better.

Problem I had was say it was drifting to the left- you pull to the right, need to pull like 2-3" of turn on the steering wheel before it affected it, then it popped over and was drifting to the right. Repeat until you get tired of it. On the positive side, you will never fall asleep at the wheel of a vehicle doing this.

Quick Reply: Sloppy steering on an E350