Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

western diesel

Old 07-13-2005, 11:20 PM
onion
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
western diesel CHIP

Have Any Of Yall Tried Or Heard Of A Chip From Western Diesel. Any Pros Or Cons Would Be Great I Found One Pretty Cheap.

Last edited by onion; 07-14-2005 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:00 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
My brother's got a Western 3 or 4 position chip in his '99. It seems to work very well, especially on the really high setting....mostly because that's the position it's in all the time. (With him it's either WFO or nothing at all)

The only problem that I have found with his chip is that it doesn't allow for a 10K (or similar) mod. As soon as the shunt resistance is wired in parallel with the ICP, the SES light comes on and it tries to die.

I don't know which chip you're looking at from Western, but he likes his!!

Cody

Old 07-14-2005, 08:16 AM
twildman
Junior User
Originally Posted by onion
Have Any Of Yall Tried Or Heard Of A Chip From Western Diesel. Any Pros Or Cons Would Be Great I Found One Pretty Cheap.
There is a reason its cheap, because they are and have been out of business for quite some time, at least 3 yrs or more. So there is no support for their product line.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:11 AM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a WD 4 pos chip and it works great, now . i had a 3 pos chip before and it didnt work worth a crap. they did work with me (kinda) to get me in to the newer chip. they have been out of business for about a year

Old 07-14-2005, 09:36 AM
twildman
Junior User
Call Jerry Scmidt at GOS or Mark Craig at diesel performance parts either one of them can tell you how long WD has been done, I know its been at least 2yrs and prolly more than 3.By the way, Mark or Jerry either one would be the ones to deal with on any of WD's products, they may have some support of them. Not sure about that though

Old 07-14-2005, 10:55 AM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Originally Posted by twildman
, I know its been at least 2yrs and prolly more than 3.
i have a reciept dated 5-4-2004 from when i exchanged my 3 pos. chip for the quad power chip. at that time they had changed their name to "ideal diesel" but it was still the same company, so they went out of bussiness some time after that

Old 07-14-2005, 12:44 PM
twildman
Junior User
Oh I see, didn't know they changed their name, knew they went into bankruptcy 3 or 4 years ago and then they must have reincorparated under that name.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:54 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
they filed for bankruptcy protection in early 2004...heres the history:http://www.turbobrake.com/history.html

Old 07-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Mark at DPPI
Elder User
wlihntr,

Don't believe all that you read, Western was in Chapter 7 when it supposedly sold its assetts to Ideal. The owner of ideal is the brother of the woman that put Western in bankruptcy in the 1st place. Odd part of that is if you're in Chapter 7 you can't sell anything period. They closed in 4-4, was a great company that was run into the ground by blantant ignorance. I left them in September 2002 prior to most of the blantant ignorance.

If you have a 4 position you have a van Aaken chip and switch, we sell them here great product etc. If you have any questions just call.

Mark @ DPPI

Old 07-14-2005, 02:57 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
i got my first 3 pos chip in june. of 02 and talked to Tim about it before i bought it. i had some troubles with it over the next year and a half (switches going out, the chip not switch power levels, ect) Tim always took care of me. finally in may of 04 (still having problems) he exchanged it for the quad power chip. i always talked to the same guy i would of thought it was the same company. the time line of the events i experienced coincides perfectly with what it says on Turbo Brake site

Originally Posted by markDpp
If you have a 4 position you have a van Aaken chip and switch, we sell them here great product
thats good to know i guess i will change my sig from a WD chip to a van Aaken chip

Last edited by wlihntr; 07-14-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:59 PM
twildman
Junior User
My how time flies when your having fun, I thought they went down at least 3 or 4 years ago, thanks for clearing it up.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:20 PM
onion
Junior User
Do All Of The Western Chips Have The Selector Switch? If So I May Know Another Reason Why It Is So Cheap!!!

Old 07-14-2005, 07:05 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Originally Posted by onion
Do All Of The Western Chips Have The Selector Switch? If So I May Know Another Reason Why It Is So Cheap!!!
if i remember correctly they did make some straight plug in chips. another thing, for the chip to work right it has to be the same (or camptible) PCM code as your trucks.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:00 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MarkDPP
wlihntr,

Don't believe all that you read, Western was in Chapter 7 when it supposedly sold its assetts to Ideal. The owner of ideal is the brother of the woman that put Western in bankruptcy in the 1st place. Odd part of that is if you're in Chapter 7 you can't sell anything period. They closed in 4-4, was a great company that was run into the ground by blantant ignorance. I left them in September 2002 prior to most of the blantant ignorance.

If you have a 4 position you have a van Aaken chip and switch, we sell them here great product etc. If you have any questions just call.

Mark @ DPPI
it really sucks working at places like that... makes you want to stay in bed in the morning... i've left a couple places like that myself and i haven't missed any of them... that's one of the reason i really like this site... you can get a lot of background info and that helps keep you from buying a bad product..!

Old 07-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Mark at DPPI
Elder User
wlihntr,

Johnny8 "heard" what I posted, I am not sure you did, go back and read between the lines. Be cautious etc.

Mark @ DPPI

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: western diesel