1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

truck acts like it dies then comes back??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 12:47 AM
95frd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck acts like it dies then comes back??

my 96 f-250 w/ 7.3L when you first start driving it, all of a sudden for a split second cuts out then takes back off, then tonight it would cut outfor a few seconds then take off. i didnt think to push in the clutch till later, so i dunno if it actualy dies or what, but i did push the throttle, and it didnt do anything. i was thinking possibly fuel filter?? i may have got some bad fuel from where i fuel up, i dunno.
any thoughts??

Old 07-13-2005, 01:02 AM
touchofgrey
Elder User
Originally Posted by 95frd
my 96 f-250 w/ 7.3L when you first start driving it, all of a sudden for a split second cuts out then takes back off, then tonight it would cut outfor a few seconds then take off. i didnt think to push in the clutch till later, so i dunno if it actualy dies or what, but i did push the throttle, and it didnt do anything. i was thinking possibly fuel filter?? i may have got some bad fuel from where i fuel up, i dunno.
any thoughts??

Sounds like you've got a cam position sensor (CPS) going out on you......one of the weak links of the 7.3s. Either get it from your local international parts dealer or if you've got the time.....you can get them pretty cheap up on Ebay.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:47 AM
rockyrider
Senior User
I 2nd the CPS. Check the link below you might find it useful. Buy your new sensor from international, or there is sponser on this site (I'll have to find it later) that has good price. Stay away from stealership, they will rape you.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...ke_Diesel.html

Old 07-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 822 Likes on 626 Posts
Third on the CPS. Buy two while you're at it, have the spare, and carry the 10mm socket, ratchet. You'll need it someday.