6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 not a real diesel?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 11:14 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, it's Monday and there's no mercy on a Monday. Tuesday, maybe, depends on how Monday went. Wednesday is a toss-up. Thursday, probably. Friday-Sunday, you bet, it's nothing but love.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:33 AM
montanacw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I have to comment on this one.

The 6.0 and the 7.3 for that matter are MODERN disels, they are advanced and are light years ahead of the Cummins. YES, the Cummins is a great engine no doubt, simple and reliable, but completely out dated.

It appears that you guys are always finding ways to knock your own trucks, I don't get it?????

If it says Diesel fuel only on the filler tank then I would have to say "Its a real Diesel"

Stop complaining about these trucks!

Old 07-11-2005, 12:03 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
montanacw,
thanks for posting that. I refrained twice in making a similar comment, changing my mind half way through the post and just letting it go. I really like my "REAL DIESEL" truck and crud like this thread just brings me down.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:09 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Well I guess if having a "real" diesel involves having to deal with a 53 engine block crack (and then getting another 53 block for warrenty), going through 2 headgaskets in 3 years, exhaust studs that wont stay tight, a shrunk/cracked exhaust manifold, lift pumps that have the lifespan of a mosquito, and the less-than-stellar reputation of all the trucks with the Bosch VP-44 injection pump, than I guess I'm proud to no longer say I have a "real diesel".

Come on guys, even the mighty reputation of Cummins has a bunch on major blemishes on it if you look at reality rather than fantasy. I believed some of this Cummins brevado before I started experiencing some of the serious and/or common REPEAT common flaws that Cummins/Dodge has.

The reason I have a Ford SD now is entirely because of the crap I had to put up with coming from my Dodge/Cummins and I've never owned a Ford in my life until now so there's no brand-loyaty bias here.

Just my .02 but I see no point in statements like started this thread. Yeah, once upon a time I had fun emailing that photo around that showed the Ford, Dodge, and Chevy diesel rods lined up beside each other (Cummins rod used to dwarf the others), but at the end of my 3 year Dodge Cummins experinence that photo was useless and proved nothing (especially when most of my Ford co-works were not having half the issues I had to put up with).

Last edited by rblomquist; 07-11-2005 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by montanacw
OK, I have to comment on this one.

The 6.0 and the 7.3 for that matter are MODERN disels, they are advanced and are light years ahead of the Cummins. YES, the Cummins is a great engine no doubt, simple and reliable, but completely out dated.
!
I am not complaining, justs stating facts.
I don't own a 6.0L or a Cummins, but I've thoroughly tested both and have compiled unbiased information.

The cummins may be "outdated" but outperforms the others at any RPM, especially once the horrible stock tuning and torque management is removed.
The cummins also get much better mileage (20 mpg is typical)

The stroke is a great engine.
The cummins is better, and much stronger.

Until Ford puts a cummins under the hood or Dodge builds a better truck/trans, Ford is still the choice overall.

So how am I bashing Ford?

Old 07-11-2005, 12:31 PM
montanacw
Senior User
Vic,

How is it you have all this knowledge, but don't own a diesel?????

It always amazes me the comments that come from the guys that don't even own a diesel or a Ford truck.

Here's a fact from my experiance. Keep in mind I live in the West I pull horse trailers and drive in extreme temps both in the winter and summer. I keep my trucks completely stock and i drive them HARD!

I bought my first diesel FORD in 1991, 7.3 non turbo, F350 4x4 man trans, I put 189,000 miles on it NO problems, great truck, next a 99 powerstroke, again no problems over 100k, 2000 Ford V10, only 55k did not realy care for a gas engine, 2002 PS no problems, 2004, and now 2 2005 F350's. I would say I have had allot of experiance with ford trucks, and pulling heavy loads.

IMO YOU CAN"T beat them!!!! Even if they are "Not a real Diesel"

Old 07-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Vic,

How is it you have all this knowledge, but don't own a diesel?????

Because it is my job to dynotest, compare and modify turbodiesel trucks.
This includes finding finding the limits of safe power, drivability testing, mileage testing, loaded (trailer) testing, etc...

I have constant access to them and drive them everyday, but don't own one.
I've got hundreds of hours logged of seat time and dynotime in the Stroke and Cummins. I have very little experience with the Duramax, so I don't speak of it much.

I certainly don't have all of the knowledge....if I claimed to, I would be a self-proclaimed idiot.
I do, however, have enough experience to give informed information and an unbiased opinion.

Please do your research before you assume pulling a horse trailer since 1991 suddenly gives your statements more credibility than other users....and bashing those other users (in this case, me).

Last edited by Vic_Ferrari; 07-11-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:35 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Vic, this was definately a Friday-Sunday post.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:51 PM
montanacw
Senior User
Look,

The real world is using these trucks how they were desinged from the factory, which is what I do.

Chipping them to make them drag racers is fine, but it is definatley not the real world and it seems that chipping these engines shortens their life and causes all other problems which is giving them a bad rap and unfairly so.

This site is becomming worthless anyway.

Have a nice day!

Old 07-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Look,

The real world is using these trucks how they were desinged from the factory, which is what I do.

Chipping them to make them drag racers is fine, but it is definatley not the real world and it seems that chipping these engines shortens their life and causes all other problems which is giving them a bad rap and unfairly so.

This site is becomming worthless anyway.

Have a nice day!
Another statement without credibility.

Can't you just say that you are sorry?
I'm willing to move on, it's not a big deal.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:01 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This thread has already lived a longer life that I thought it would. And I'm not even the one to stir things up this time.

Geez people are gonna think I am slacking up or something. Gotta reputation to uphold.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:03 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No need for this thread to keep on longer then it already has. Whats the point. Buy what you like. We all have choices. Go get a Dodge an the Cummins. A real diesel for youbut not a real truck. Have you noticed Dodges truck sales have been getting less an less every year while Ford has increased there numbers. Hey why argue about it. Just buy one an get your Cummins a real diesel

Old 07-11-2005, 01:04 PM
F250Wheels
Elder User
If the 6.0 isn't a real diesel, can I run fake diesel fuel?

Old 07-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F250Wheels
If the 6.0 isn't a real diesel, can I run fake diesel fuel?
Well...they do have biodiesel, but you can't run it on 100% biodiesel =o)

Everyone keeps hammering him for the "real diesel" term...lol

Read between the lines and see what he is really saying...it's just a lack of terminology.

This thread rocks!

Old 07-11-2005, 01:33 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Okay Vic, I'll bite. How do you infer from the statement that a part being cut in relation to a crankshaft is the determinate of whether or not an engine is a diesel, to mean that what he was REALLY saying was that if it's not as reliable as a Cummins it's not a "real" diesel? And what terminology do you think he should have used?

And KW, your scaring me. This isn't just the calm before the storm is it?

Quick Reply: 6.0 not a real diesel?!?!