Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Cherry Picker Dolly

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cherry Picker Dolly

-I'll post a pic of it later if I remember, but a few months ago my friend and I put together a sort of a skate-board made of two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood to land engines on. It is cut to fit exactly between the front support legs of both of our engine hoists so that when lowering an engine to the floor it drops right down onto it and it also provides an easy tear-down platform that keeps oil and crud off the floor!

We had the left over wood and a set of casters (big steel ones that swivel) and layed it over the legs of the cherry picker to mark the outline of the legs. The two pieces were then laminated together with wood glue and pinned together with lag screws. This gives a platform about an inch and a half thick that even a cleveland will sit on without trouble.

Engines are stabilised by laying an old tire or a wood block across it where the oil pan rests before lowering all the way. When not in use, it leans against the wall with the floor creepers, so it is also space friendly.

Using this we avoid having to free up an engine stand every time an engine comes out, and unlike a stand its very hard to tip over...

Its been worth its weight in gold so far!!!

~Wolf

Old 07-09-2005, 12:43 PM
brokebronco
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good. Just don't watch any extreme sports on tv or the next thig you know, you will be finding the steepest hill around and riding the dolly down it.

Chris

Old 07-09-2005, 03:28 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
shoot, just leave the engine on the dolly when you ride down the hill, itll keep you going longer after you get to the bottom.

Old 07-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
CKY!

(Can't Kill Yourself)

Last edited by Greywolf; 07-10-2005 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:27 AM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wolf, thats a cool pic isnt it?

Old 07-12-2005, 12:05 PM
CheapRanger
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw you put up some pics of a helicopter landing, yet I am wanting to see the pictures of this! Any yet?
Thanks

Old 07-13-2005, 07:49 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by CheapRanger
I saw you put up some pics of a helicopter landing, yet I am wanting to see the pictures of this! Any yet?
Thanks
My friend works split shift, and I haven't had a chance to flash a pic yet. I'll get it for us. (Its at his place)

We/I thought of some improvements for it, but the basic design is so simple and easy to hack together its almost a shame to change it.

(Chrono - I've seen it before but yeah, its pretty rad.)