Timing Setting

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 06:22 AM
jcs1966
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Setting

1966 352, Edlebrock CAM,INTAKE,CARB (their matched set) Mallory Unilite distribure (mechanical advanced) and headers and new radiator & hoses. What should be the INITAL timing or doesnt that matter??? All the info I can find says TOTAL TIMING

The reason Im asking is it seems perty hot under the hood and I went for a short test ride yesterday and the BRAKE FLUID tube coming from the master clyinder was HOT!!! Too hot to hold!!!

It looks like mechanic set it at 12 BTDC while idling.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Putt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12* BTDC sounds about right, with pure mechanical advance, even more initial timing might be needed(to aid part throttle response). You need to get a total of around 36* to 40*, so knowing what the mech advance you get from the distributor then allows you to adjust the initial to get that. As long as it does not turn over hard or "diesel" when shutting off.
The heat could be the result of fresh engine, they tend to run warm for awhile. Is the cooling system all functioning properly?

Old 07-09-2005, 03:19 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I would try 10* with a total of 36* and adjustfrom there...If ya get to much inital advance your starter will have a hard time...the flywheel will want to kick back!!

Russ