1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

94 3.0L 2wd 5spd Brakes/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 02:27 PM
unenthused
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 3.0L 2wd 5spd Brakes/Vibration

I recently replaced the Front and rear brakes on my Ranger. Because the front RT caliper locked up.
In the front I replaced the pads, bearings (both L&R sides), calipers and had the rotors turned.
In the rear I replaced the wheel cylinders,drums and shoes.
The hydraulic system was bled and the pedal is firm. This truck is equiped with the RABS(rear antilock brake system)which I tested on smooth pavement It seemed to work correctly.
THE PROBLEM
Now,when I step on the brakes to slow down there is a minor vibration that seems to be coming from the rear end. The vibration varies with speed not the trans/engine rpm. Clutch in or out, and in/out of gear,while braking the vibration seems to relate only to vehicle speed and braking.

This vibration isn't really transmitted through the brake pedal.
i.e. no noticible pedal vibration like with warped rotors.
However this vibration only occurs when braking.
I can feel it a little (very little) in the steering wheel and mostly coming through the seat of the truck.
The truck has a barely noticable pull to the right probably not related to this problem.
Also, when I assembled the front calipers the the lube was not available for the caliper retaining pins.
The old ones seemed dry when i removed them so i didn't lube the new ones. Could this be the problem? What type of lubricant can be used so close the the brake pads?
Any response would be helpful.
Thanks

Old 07-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
You may have a hard spot on the rear drums, yes you might want to have them turned to find out. I had the same problem with my daughters car, turned the drums (new ones) and it went away. Just because they are new does not make them right.

As to the pins, yes you need to lube them, you can buy a tube/jar of the pin lube at just about any parts place. It is silicone based lube and does not run like normal grease. Just means you have to pull the front wheels and calipers again, should take about 20 mins for both since you will be familiar with the sytem.

Old 07-01-2005, 04:43 PM
unenthused
Freshman User
I did notice that the new drums were slightly out of round, I assumed since they were new it was ok. Looks like its back to work on my truck this weekend.
Thankyou for the advice and Happy 4th of July.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:13 PM
unenthused
Freshman User
Problem solved
I just had the drums turned and the mechanic said they really needed it. The truck now stops smoothly.

Thanks again for your help

Old 07-05-2005, 05:41 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Many people don't believe it, but it's always good practice to do a light turn on new drums/rotors.