2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler and radiator fin dents

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 08:25 AM
treefarmer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking oil cooler and radiator fin dents

8000 miles on FX4 have noticed a few fins dented on the oil cooler and radiator.Seems like some things have found their way past the grill under normal driving conditions. Is there a screen available that will not block air flow but will protect these items?I have a screen on my ford tractor that comes out for cleaning .Was wondering if such an item was available for my f150.Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:42 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may have to make your own screen, but I think JC Whitney actually made a heavy-duty steel "comb" to straighten out the minor dents. Too many and it definitely has an adverse effect on cooling.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:53 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a 'grill comb' at Harbor Freight. About 6 bucks. I use it on computer radiators, but it's really for the big kind. Handle with white nylon head with four sets of blades.

I think anything that will stop stones will stop cooling air. Although these trucks don't strike me as any kind of overheaters.

Climbing steep grades in hot weather my truck goes up to 200. Not too shabby, since it never runs under 190 even in winter.
Chris

Old 07-01-2005, 04:32 PM
HankMurphy
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by treefarmer
8000 miles on FX4 have noticed a few fins dented on the oil cooler and radiator.Seems like some things have found their way past the grill under normal driving conditions. Is there a screen available that will not block air flow but will protect these items?I have a screen on my ford tractor that comes out for cleaning .Was wondering if such an item was available for my f150.Thanks in advance for any help.
Besides the sources mentioned elsewhere, any air conditioning supply store should have a fin straightening tool available. Mine was $10.

I'm thinking that you are referring to the transmission cooler when you say "Oil Cooler" - it should be there if you have the trailer towing package.

Since the trans cooler is in the bottom of the opening, you might get some benefit from the Stull bumper grille without too much effect on your airflow. There are also a couple of billet accessories for the lower inlet if you want more bling factor.

What kind of trees do you farm?

Hank Murphy
2005 XL Work Truck

Old 07-01-2005, 05:24 PM
treefarmer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks HankMurphy I think I will look into your suggestion.My trees are standing timber mix of hard woods and white and red pine with some acres of christmas trees.