Guidence From Those Who Know

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Xdwag
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guidence From Those Who Know

Hi all,

Looking to purchase an Ex. I have these thoughts in mind if anybody can elaberate I would greatly appreciate it. From reading it seems that the diseal is the way to go. The new one's are out of my budget. Can't seem to find any of the PSD's 6.0L in 2003 of 2004...any ideas? If I can't find one of these how is the 2002 PSD 7.3L in comparrison and is it worth getting the 2002 or should I just get a later model V10...looking to tow a travel trailer in the future
(7,800 - 8,000 lbs). One last thing, is there a significant ride difference from one model year to the next. I thank you all in advance for those of you that can shed some light.

Old 06-30-2005, 03:08 PM
bigdaddyTank
Elder User
The 7.3's are great, Like anything just make sure its been taken care of. I have an 01 X with a 7.3 and love it so I'm a little biased towards the diesels. They all have the same crappy shocks from the factory but ride pretty good. Towing a TT you will want to get a sway bar for the rear, that helps alot along with good shocks.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:20 PM
gawent
Freshman User
If your towin', go diesel. Either 7.3 or 6.0 you will be happy with. 6.0's seem to have more issues at the moment. I've had mine, but still love it. I have a 2004 6.0 4x4, awesome power. You will get better mileage than a gasser in my opinion. Diesels are noisier, just the way I like it I tow a travel trailer that weighs in at around 10k fully stocked and loaded. To me, the X is the ultimate towing vehicle for a family. I have 3 kids 2,4 and 6. Needless to say, an F250 even with a crew cab was out of the question. I can't imagine all 3 sitting in a row with there hands to themselves

Good luck in your decision!

Old 07-01-2005, 06:36 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Xdwag
Hi all,

Looking to purchase an Ex. I have these thoughts in mind if anybody can elaberate I would greatly appreciate it. From reading it seems that the diseal is the way to go. The new one's are out of my budget. Can't seem to find any of the PSD's 6.0L in 2003 of 2004...any ideas? If I can't find one of these how is the 2002 PSD 7.3L in comparrison and is it worth getting the 2002 or should I just get a later model V10...looking to tow a travel trailer in the future
(7,800 - 8,000 lbs). One last thing, is there a significant ride difference from one model year to the next. I thank you all in advance for those of you that can shed some light.
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:39 AM
fomoco_1
Senior User
Xdwag,it is all a matter of preference in the gas/diesel debate.If you are looking to do mods to the motor, are going to tow ALOT,or are going to put a gang of miles on it then the diesel wins. On the other hand, if it will be used for occasional towing,regular driving(10-12000 a year) and dont particularly want the noise of a diesel then by all means,save the premium money and go with a V-10.You also need to factor in that a diesel costs more to maintain and if breaks down you will feel an extra hit from that too.Essentially though they are both great drivelines and will give you years of good service.Good luck and welcome to the stable.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Big Rig
Senior User
Both the deisel Ex and the V-10 can pull just as much as any of us need it for. If you are using your Ex for your daily driver and don't put to many miles on it every day, I would stay away from the deisel..Diesel fuel is approx .25 more expensive...I guess that doesn't matter much, because if you're interested in the Ex...WHY would you really care about gas prices anyway!! I would stay away from the 6.0...This engine is still plagued with all kinds of problems..The V-10 well taken care of will easily last 250,000 miles w/o any problem before a rebuild. Quite frankly, I feel this is the best engine Ford puts out. You may go thru a couple of trannies, but you would do so with the diesel as well..

The only time I would even look for a diesel is for long long hauling with a heavy load. Also, a diesel cost more to operate..ie..oil changes, fule filters etc....

I have a V-10 Ex and I love....Go over to the V-10 forum, then go over to the 6.0 diesel forum...You'll see really quick which is the better engine..

Go with the V-10 all the way...

Big Rig

Old 07-03-2005, 05:20 PM
spartan
Senior User
Brother in law had two 7.3's X's - zero problems. Two 6.0 X's with tons of problems. Banker - buys lots of new vehicles.

Now he's driving a VW bug convertable.......they have three of them just for " fun " cars and yes I make fun of them evertime I talk to him.

I like the V10, but I don't tow. My truck is 5 1/2 years old with 63K miles. No problems except one door handle that misbehaves intermittently and the rear vent switches don't want to work anymore. Typing with my fingers crossed now.