Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Great FORD video comparing to all others

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 10:13 PM
cstrail
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sorry I started a big ordeal here. Everyone has there own opinions. Personally, I do think Ford is the best. I know this was a ford produced video. Also, I have not only owned fords. I have had 2 dodge pickup trucks, 3 dodge chargers, a chevy pickup truck, and 2 other ford pickups, 2 ford vans, 1 chrysler van, and a toyota camry. Of all of those vehicles, the least problems I have had have been with fords.

I test drove a newer chevy pickup truck last year and I admit, it did ride better, but I am not buying a truck for the way it rides, I am buying it for a truck. I just thought it was interesting how most people will ALWAYS find something wrong with anything someone says. I like my truck - so what. This is a Ford Enthusiast forum and I was just showing MY Ford enthusiasm. Thats my 2 cents.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:45 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've gone to a Ford dealership, and they tryed to get me to watch the truth about trucks, and gave me a dvd of it. I watched it, and it showed a couple things, like the front frame area of the trucks, and they showed a toyota with a full frame around the engine(thin metal), a nissan titan with thick side frames but no front, a ford with a fully boxed engine compartment(thick metal), and a chevy with no engine frame support. That just shows that the Ford is the safest when you get in a head on collision.

It showed how Ford gave 4 wheel disc brakes standard, and chevy and toyota with rear drums, but that is one way to make their trucks cheaper, make everything a option.

I agree Propaganda, but still interesting.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:47 PM
Al Bundy
Senior User
Sure the ford has a boxed frame, it doesn't mean it is the safest. Have you seen the crash comparison of a f-150 vs a mini cooper? Yea I know its not the current f-150, but still. http://www.bridger.us/2002/12/16/Cra...operVsFordF150

And I would rather have drums in the rear because its less maintenance. If the real purpose was the reduce cost, how come tundras sell for so high?

Old 06-30-2005, 07:56 AM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
Thumbs up

cstrail.

Thats quite a list of vehicles you have there. What years were those Chargers you owned? I'm a huge fan of the 60's Chargers. 68-70 were the best IMO.

I think you made a good choice not going with the Chev, eventhough it was better riding. Some people prefer a truck that rides smooth, some prefer others. It wqas interesting to see that Chevrolet put nothing in the front end of the Silverado. The sight of that scared me. I say stick with Ford or Dodge. Top two trucks on the road IMO. From 1/2 ton to 1 ton.

Best as always.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:10 AM
cstrail
New User
I had a 70, 71, and a 73 Dodge Charger. I wish I had all of them back now. They were awesome. I also agree with you about the truck thing. If I want something that rides like a car, i'll buy a car. I bought my truck to pull my camper and haul a trailer around with. I do like Dodge trucks too, My previous 2 were older, and I gave them a lot of abuse pulling things. I will never own another GM truck though. That thing was the biggest pile of junk steel i ever owned.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:45 AM
ARMORER
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Al Bundy]Sure the ford has a boxed frame, it doesn't mean it is the safest. Have you seen the crash comparison of a f-150 vs a mini cooper? Yea I know its not the current f-150, but still. http://www.bridger.us/2002/12/16/Cra...operVsFordF150

The thing about that link, or that comparison is simple physics. When you crash something that weighs 5000+ pounds into an immoveable barrier there is a tremendous amount of energy to be absorbed. Much more energy than the 2000 pound mini cooper. Those small "disposeable" cars always do pretty good against fixed objects, its the difference between hurling a wiffle ball at a wall as opposed to a baseball. Now, try running that truck head-on into the mini-cooper and see who survives........................

Old 06-30-2005, 11:15 AM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=ARMORER]
Originally Posted by Al Bundy
Now, try running that truck head-on into the mini-cooper and see who survives........................
That would be something. I would like to see that, and then see what they say about a mini coopers saftey compard to a F-150.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:40 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I am trying to find a picture of a Honda Jazz (I don't think you guys get them over there, slightly smaller than a Civic) which had a head on crash with a 98 Jeep Cherokee here in Aus.
Jazz driver walked away, Jeep driver became quadraplegic, despite their weighing in at almost double the weight.

I have had a couple of "incidents" in my '63 Cooper, and I can tell you I would have felt a lot less safe if I was driving my F350...
In the "ancient" Mini, I can swerve almost anything, pull over 1g around a corner (it has semi slicks) and stop on a dime, a F350 I would want that weight advantage, as despite my best driving efforts I would be ploughing straight into them.

There are many factors in a cars safety: - many of them are overlooked
Electronic driver aids
Manouvarability
Weight
Crash Worthiness etc.
Braking

Old 07-01-2005, 09:31 AM
ARMORER
Elder User
I agree, 99% of crash safety is not crashing in the first place. In that respect a mini wins, hands down. But bigf350, if you KNEW you were going to have to head on somebody wouldn't you rather have a few thousand exta pounds of steel on your side? It's dicey no matter what you are in, that is the worst possible accident-but I'd say your odds are better in a truck.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:06 AM
GOP
Junior User
With the new redesign Ford has improved the safety of the F-150 very much. Have you seen how the 97-03 design faired in crash tests, its actually scary

Heres frontal impact

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_rat.../html/0110.htm

Then check out the 04', it gets a best pick

Old 07-01-2005, 02:14 PM
brown79
Senior User
if ford was to tell the truth about f150's they would admit that they havn't built a decent f150 since 1979

Old 07-01-2005, 03:03 PM
ARMORER
Elder User
Yes, I suppose if "decent" to you means "antique".

Old 07-01-2005, 04:45 PM
ARMORER
Elder User
On edit-I should say that yes, I love the pre '79 trucks, but I also like the newer generations too. There is something to be said for simplicity, but there is also something to be said for a good heater and fuel injection on a -15 Iowa winter day.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:22 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, I admit that if I KNEW I was going to have a head on, I would prefer to be in my F350, however I still would prefer to take a chance with my ability on avoiding it in a smaller vehicle.

Old 07-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile I have had two important crashes

One of them was in a pretty tricky farm road (my brother driving), we came to fast up a hill, and the next thing i knew we where flying straight down to the floor, we crashed frontally into it... the front bumper absorbed all the damage just being a little loose after that. the other incident was a side crash by an old dodge ram (a 70´s pick-up, my idiotic brother driving again), it hitted the truck in the front tire, even as the damage was heavy it still drove home (just like and ol´faitfull dog... lol) as for the dodge... the engine hitted the ground and the driving shaft got through the bed... poor thing, it made 16meters of braking tracks before the crash.

Quick Reply: Great FORD video comparing to all others