Sponsored by: Moser

Wiring Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 12:05 PM
nhswrld
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring Problem?

My dads 78 f-150 ranger has been having problems with starting. The column shifter would have to be held inbetween park and reverse to start so i went underneither adjusted the reverse switch. problem solved, but then it started doing it again, i thought the reverse switch moved, but it didnt..then it just wouldnt start no matter where i positioned the coloumn..so i think maybe the column is worn out, just replace it. well i didnt replace it yet, but today i tried to start it, it started crankin...let of...tried again...it started cranking and wouldnt stop. i turned off the ignition, pulled the key out and it kept cranking. i had to pop the hood and undo the batter cable to make it stop cranking. then i tried again, and it fired up and started running good again. my guess is there is a wiring problem somewhere...anyone else have anything near this strange happen? this truck is so unpredictable, which is why i cant troubleshoot it very well....please help!

Old 06-28-2005, 07:09 PM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 154 Likes on 127 Posts
I think it might be the ignition switch itself. Or a shorting wire.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It would be the linkage wearing out before the column.

Check your grommets.
Also, when you re-adjusted the switch.
Was the trans & the shifter in Neutral when you inserted the drill bit in the lined up holes ?

as Shown here:

Last edited by Mil1ion; 06-28-2005 at 08:26 PM.