6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Advice I got to extend tire life

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 05:55 PM
guydiver12
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my PSD to Firestone just after buying new. I got a tire service plan that includes road hazard, and lifetime rotation(every 6,000) and balancing for about $50. My tires have 32,000 miles(firestone 265/75/16 AT's), and the tread still looks almost like new. I take it in somewhere between 6-8,000. They always put my pressure to 75lbs. all the way around. Rides a little rougher, but seems to keep tire wear to a minimum.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:35 PM
sanpanchosue
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I spent 5 hours at my dealership last week dealing with a tire that I've complained about since I got my truck 20,000 miles ago. It's an F450 with 19.5 tires. This is what I was told by the tire shop manager and or the service manager.

1. Reversing rotation on the tires is not a problem it was described as an old wives tale with the exception of tires which are designed to be directional and are clearly marked with a directional arrow on the sidewall. The example I was shown looked like some of those fancy car tires.

2. The Ford recommended rotation is from side to side, not front to back. Rear inside dual to opposite inside and outside to outside.

3. (Whispered in my ear by the service manager) The stock General tires are crap.

Some things I observed during my day-long ordeal was that EVERY time my problem tire was put onto the balancing machine and/or tightened onto the machine and spun up the balance weights were different. The tire was spun no less than 10 times during the day on two different machines. My conclusion is that balancing tires is an approximate science.

Fortunately after a bunch of "Well, gosh we balanced it" statements the tire was acknowledged as being a reject and I'm now going through the process of determining whether the problem rests with the tire (most likely) or the rim. Soon I will have a truck that doesn't wobble at 50 mph.

Old 06-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,468 Likes on 2,130 Posts
Originally Posted by RangerRuss

On a side note if anyone has any ideas: my wife's '03 Buick Regal has some interesting tire wear at 21,000 miles. Both tires on the passenger side of the car are cupped - enough to make noise inside the car. The tires on the driver side are just fine. They are the o.e. Firestone 680s. I have checked the alignment - all 4 wheels - and found caster/camber/toe on the front to be within tolerance, caster and toe on the rear I brought into spec, SAI, Included angle and setback are all within spec.
Any ideas? Nice car if I can get rid of the tire rumble.

Russ
Tire cup is bounce and/or the tire is not running square to the car. Check your struts or shocks. Check the rims for run and/or tires could have been mounted wrong. This car might have suffered a side impact, like sliding off the road.

For all vehicles. The suspension has to be in good shape. Rims should run true and the tire should be balanced for both radial and lateral run out.

Hope this helps.