Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Another Wicked Wheel question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Flinno18
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Wicked Wheel question...

I am really thinking about getting a wicked wheel and I was wondering. With my previous car(don't laugh), a turbocharged talon, a lot of guys would take their turbos and have the intake and exhaust housings ported and have the fins on the wheel clipped. A lot of aftermarket big horsepower turbos had the option of porting and clipping. I was unable to get a real answer as to what the clipping of the fins in the wheel did, but I assume it improved air flow or helped with boost in some way or another. Has anyone heard of or done this to their turbo? I was curious because if I were to get the wicked wheel I would like to have this done if it were to help, since the turbo would be disassembled anyway. Thanks for any input you all might have and not making fun of a previous riceburner owner(haha).

Flinn

Old 06-21-2005, 01:33 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have never heard of "clipping fins" on a turbo diesel. i am not that familure with gas turbos but appling some basic physics would suggest that by clipping the fins (on the intake or exhaust side) would decreae the surface area of the fin thus decreasing its areodynamic resistance and allow the turbo to spool up faster, but in turn decreasing the total amount of air (boost) it could move. on a turbo diesel you want as much boost (for the most part) as you can get so i would not do it, the WW will help with compressor surge but will do nothing for performance. on the other hand you can get a ported turbo intake housing ( made by ATS) which has a 4" intake instead of the stock 3" and it will also take care of the surge and will increase the airflow capacity into the turbo by 33%, however it is $425.00 as apposed to $90.00 for the WW but is much easier to install. you dont have to remove the turbo to put the housing on

Old 06-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Flinno18
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry , I didn't put this in my original post, but what clipping means is that the fin's angle is changed.